Featured Armspear Railroad lantern

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by prestoncohunter, Jun 29, 2019.

1. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

Near as I can tell it would have been made between 1925 and 1931 so it's not quite an antique yet.

It appears to be the original globe, but the globe is not marked
    [​IMG]

It has what looks like hardened tar in several places so I rubbed it with a pencil lead to make out the brand for certain.
    [​IMG]

Not sure what railroad it would have been for, the only local railroad that would have a W in it would have been the Western Maryland and I do have a lock marked WMRR but I don't think there is enough space between the W and the CO to have WMRR but possibly a WM would fit, however I don't know if they ever used just the WM. I could probably get the "tar" off of it but don't want to clean it that deep.
    [​IMG]

I am not a railroad collector, so any additional information is welcome.

judy, Bronwen and Michael77 like this.
  2. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Nice! Is it an oil lantern?

judy likes this.
  3. prestoncohunter

I assume it's oil, though I haven't disassembled it enough to see how it would be filled. The burner looks like a oil lantern.

judy likes this.
  4. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

nice lantern, blue flags / colors are placed on a car or other object on which men are working.

Fid, Drew and komokwa like this.
  5. prestoncohunter

I haven't really dug them out and checked them close but we also have clear, red, amber oil lanterns. A mixture of ages. Also a few early battery lights. Unfortunatly the amber, was electrified years ago by my FIL and he would hang it at there cabin when they were there. The amber (or yellow) was used to mark "camp cars" where work crews would sleep.

Draft saved Draft deleted