Art - Cost of paper foxing removal/conservation?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by say_it_slowly, Nov 6, 2015.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Probably should have put this in art but it is paper.

I just picked up a print that has some yellowing and foxing. In good condition it's probably worth a few hundred the best I can estimate. With foxing and yellowing....no idea. So what I'm wondering is what it actually costs to have paper conserved. I'm sure it varies based on the problem and the actual conservator but I've never looked into it before. Any idea? I'll probably keep it awhile but ultimately sell if I can.

Looking online (probably dangerous) I believe it's probably a woodblock print and by Chiura Obata, about 16" X 20" in what looks like a vintage mat and frame. obata.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Batman_2000 likes this.
  2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the cost, too.

Do you have any idea about the age of the piece?

3. say_it_slowly

Not really and I've only done a little searching but 1950's is mentioned a few places and that would not surprise me based on the overall look. I believe he died in 1975 and I was guessing guess 50's-60's when I picked it up.

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had a 12X15 inch print from 1807. It was yellowed on the edges and brown foxed all over. This was in 2010. It cost me 60 bucks. I was very happy with the results but was told that it should have been 30-40 dollars. I have done several myself since they were not really valuable. I used strong peroxide from a beauty supply house. My first attempt I rubbed very carefully and ruined the paper. The second attempt I let the peroxide do the work and rinsed very carefully with distilled water. It came out fine as well as the the four others that I attempted.
    greg

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing that much foxing on prints made on rice paper, so I'm wondering if the paper has another composition? Or the prints are backed with a highly acid paper? My experience with Asian prints is limited, though, so I'm not sure.

6. say_it_slowly

He was a Japanese American working in Berkeley California at the time of this I think and I don't know exactly what the paper is.

Interesting bio, from Japan he came to the US as a teen, spent time in an internment camp during the war and was a faculty member at the Univ of Calif.

I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to experimenting with this. I currently have a ceramic object soaking in peroxide but I've done that plenty of times and know what to expect. If conservation is under $100 I'd still come out well with this I think (again just guessing based on very little actual knowledge.)

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, this much foxing does seem more typical of Western prints. What a crummy situation to migrate to another country and then be interned!

8. say_it_slowly

No kidding! But to then stay and prosper...triumph of the spirit I'd say.

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This is true!

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Beats staying, getting conscripted, and dying out on some uninhabited atoll in the Pacific.

Jen and George likes this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

That is true, too!

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

SIS - It doesn't look totally like a woodblock print to me. If it is a print at all, it appears to have some ink flourishes, they look painted with a brush (such as the mane, the tail, the grays). Don't be too quick to soak this print in a liquid.

You can carefully check by dampening a q-tip with water and lightly touching less noticeable areas. If ink comes up on the end of the q-tip, you'll know it's water soluble.

Best of luck with this, it's very pretty. *hearts*

Pat P likes this.
  13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing, that it looks like paint or ink applied with a brush.

antidiem likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

I don't think it looks like a woodblock either but it has been described that way least a place or two of course there are places calling it a watercolor or ink wash too. I'm just going with print for now until I do some research.

I don't think I'll attempt anything myself at least not anytime soon. bawk bawk

http://www.jaodb.com/db/ItemDetail.asp?item=43940

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

SIS, looking at the other copy, at first I thought it must be a print since they looked the same. But looking more closely, there are some differences that I don't think you'd see in two copies of the same print. The end of the tail, in particular, is different, and I saw some other small variations as well.

16. say_it_slowly

There seem to be quite alot of this horse around so it must be a print of some sort. I'll have to see if I can find out more about it but whatever it is I'm not going to fiddle with it myself. It sure would look better without the spots:)

17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I doubt I'd try to get rid of the foxing myself, either.

If all the copies you see have slight variations, it could well be that the theme was popular and he was so skilled with a brush that he produced many originals that looked similar.

18. dlk777

dlk777 Member

White bread is a good foxing removal tool.

19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm, I'll have to try that. Thanks. :)

20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I use the bread cleaning a lot but never tried on foxing. Looking for something to clean today, like I need to clean the house but it can wait.:rolleyes:
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted