Featured Art Deco Bronze Sculpture Titled,"In The Arms Of Morpheus" By Amelia

Discussion in 'Art' started by antiquelover69, Dec 10, 2018.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

SAM_5811.JPG SAM_5812.JPG SAM_5813.JPG SAM_5813.JPG SAM_5814.JPG SAM_5815.JPG SAM_5815.JPG I've had this sculpture about 15 years bought it from a barn sale,there was once an old label that had,"Bronze with Walnut base,titled,"In The Arms Of Morpheus by Amelia,the label was lost about 9 years ago,the bottom still has the name Amelia,I have researched and found nothing about artist,but the story is Morpheus is a mythology creature who was the god of sleep and dreams,he could take on the form of any human,this bronze is art deco I believe,,the lady appear to be nude lying in the arms of a winged creature,hope somebody know any information on this item,it's a wonderful old piece,I've never cleaned it.This is the second forum I believe I've had this piece on.

LIbraryLady, Zinnie, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Afraid I don't see anything Art Deco about this.
    I'm more inclined toward 1970s-80s. But wait for other comments.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The way the bottom is felted and signed makes me think this was a student piece. And that single wing is not only odd, but isn't of the same smoothness as the rest.

Figtree3, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. antiquelover69

It's really an older piece.I had someone to look at it,I was told art deco.I have not cleaned the bronze.The base is walnut but I can't find just the name Amelia.The person who looked at it had no idea who the artist is.

judy likes this.
  5. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Anyone open to the possibility that the bronze is indeed "older" (not art deco -- we'd guess post-war "modernist"), and it's the wooden base that's of much more recent origin and the only part of the assembly that's "By Amelia"?

judy likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

could be from the art deco period, but looks more like Italian futurismo.

judy and aaroncab like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is not strictly Art Deco in style, but I'm with Fid on the possibility of Futurism.
    The term Futurism was first coined as a term for a new art movement in the early years of the 20th century. It influenced Art Deco and various other art forms of the first half of the 20h century.

In the Netherlands we use the term 'in Morpheus' arms' when referring to someone who is sleeping.

judy and aaroncab like this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I like it. My personal guess would be 1940s-1950s, student piece (not going to find "Amelia" I don't think).

Lecollectionneur and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Futurism lasted until well into the 1940s, so who knows. Well Amelia does, but we can't ask her.;)

Bakersgma, judy and Jivvy like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't look terribly old. Is "By Amelia" written in ink pen or ball point pen?

Debora

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Couple of thoughts. Was the label that went missing handwritten? Could have been a descriptive label put on by a former owner, creator (or even at a store, etc.) If the label was more of a foil type, implying many pieces made by this artist, one would expect other pieces with her signature would turn up.

I have to say my first thought was late 1960s or 1970s with that walnut base.

Agreeing that the signature does not seem like something from the Art Deco era.

That said, these days a later piece might have equal if not more value. Lots of interest for 60s/70s --even 80s for some things.

Seems like opinions are all over the place on this one.

I do like it, too. Might not find the maker, but has an intriguing look. :)

Figtree3 and patd8643 like this.
  12. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

A dead give away might be how it is attached to the base . You would have to remove the felt unless it is just glued to the wood base . If it is a threaded stud and a square nut , it would probably be much older than say, a conventional nut. if it is rusted , or is it zinc plated? if it is a screw, is it a Phillips or a slotted screw. The felt does look like it has some age , 40's or 50's or older, but I guess there is newer felt that has aged that way depending on what it sat on .

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

14. Any Jewelry

It looks like someone else wrote it as a reminder, maybe after the original felt was lost or worn away? Who signs something 'by .....'?

Figtree3, Bronwen and Jivvy like this.
  15. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Thank you! I've been wondering about that very thing and this is an excellent explanation.

Of course, no way to know if it's right, but I like it.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

There is a square outline on top of the wood near where her knees are bent. Is that where the label was attached?

I agree with the thought that this was done by a student. Don't know about the date. Too bad you don't have the label any more, as that may have given more clues.

i need help likes this.
  17. antiquelover69

Figtree3 yes that little square outline was where the label was attached.I never removed the felt because the label was lost.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

will you sell it ?

19. antiquelover69

Yes,if I know what to sell it for.I've had items in the past I sold and it was woth more than what I sold it for.I just didn't have any information.I told this story to another person on this forum.I sold 2 drawings a long time ago to a man in Taiwan,everybody I talked to,told me it wasn't worth much so I sold both I belive around 350 or 450.When the man got it.he emailed me and said,thank you for those wonderful drawings 15th or 16th century buddah priest with a prayer.I have no idea what it's worth.

20. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Figtree3, Bakersgma, Jivvy and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted