Featured Art Deco Bronze & Stone Bookends; One of an Identical Pair

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, Jul 10, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

She is a little over 6" high; the ball is about ⅜" in diameter.
    Is she Urania? What would you say the stone is? There are no marks at all on her, nor on the stone.

fullsizeoutput_993e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9942.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9941.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9940.jpeg

Figtree3, Any Jewelry, judy and 8 others like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

She's very elegant

judy, Aquitaine and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I see onyx..

Gus Tuason, moreotherstuff and judy like this.
  5. wlwhittier

I've always thought of Onyx as Obsidian-like in color; Black. 'Tain't so, come to find out! Who'd a thunk it?

judy likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

I'm once again humbled, Bronwen...as much by your understanding as, in this instance, your possession of stunning examples to substantiate your thoughtful responses. Bravo!

judy likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Bronwen humbly admits she did not look closely at the title, or she would have seen that you already know perfectly well it's a bookend.

Now, on this subject:
    The word 'onyx' comes from the Greek for fingernail. These days, in the US at least, when people say 'onyx', they really mean black onyx, which is something that does not occur in nature; it is dyed to be that dark. This is such a common, widespread & ancient practice that it is not considered necessary to mention it.

The stone used for the second cameo of Urania I showed is designated as sardonyx: the background layer is dark brown sard; the figure is engraved in the onyx layer. It is all the mineral chalcedony, a form of quartz. Carnelian/cornelian is in this family, as are bloodstone & jasper.

The material used for the bookends is also commonly called onyx. However, my very good gemstone book calls it 'onyx-marble', a stone quite different in composition & properties than chalcedony onyx, the mineral the Greeks had in mind. It is calcium carbonate based, much softer than the silicon-based quartz.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

You must be reading a New Age/healing stone definitions. Onyx is black and white banded chalcedony/agate.Black onyx does occur naturally,though most pieces sold today are dyed chalcedony. Info here... https://www.google.com/search?sourc...HT9dDxsQjJkEegQILhAC&biw=1231&bih=642&dpr=1.3

judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
    Bronwen likes this.
  10. Irenka

Irenka Well-Known Member

Where was she bought? If this was mine, my first thought would be that this is italian piece and that represent player of bocce. Because in the middle of the century they were obsessed with onyx in Italy and made everything from it :) I have table lamps that where made with onyx that I am just dealing with. I hope it helps with identification in some way...
    DSC_1630 (Small).JPG

Attached Files:

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

Onyx, yes. You'd have to see what her companion was doing to be sure (she might have held a cricket bat, who knows); maybe she's just a sport player, but could very well be a mythological subject--both were popular at the time. Even though part of a set, I think she holds her ground on her own, this is especially apparent when looking at the first pic. Very good find!

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

13. wlwhittier

Her companion is identical. The only difference between these two bookends is the variation in the stone...which I'll photograph & post here for y'alls delight.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted