Art Deco copper Paris plaque / ashtray – foundry identification and age help

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Abegweit, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

I have the art deco plaque / ashtray below. I’ve only been able to find one other one like it online, but it didn’t have a firm manufacture date. I have not been able to locate a France copper foundry mark like this. If anyone has any information on this foundry that may help date the item that they can pass along to me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    IMG_0926.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG

KingofThings and aaroncab like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I see the Eiffel tower there, but I also see a monkey.

3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The item was cast. I'm fairly confident it is either spelter or bronze. Very attractive item.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

It's even possible it was made in the US. Perhaps even NJ, maybe Jersey City.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I doubt the foundry name will make any difference. You want to push the deco styling. If you are planning to list this, try to work "diecast souvenir building" into the title. That should help to attract the interested group.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Abegweit

Abegweit Active Member

Thank you all for you feedback. I wondered about the where the foundry may be given the writing for what was a French souvenir was in English, but this may be the norm. It is a nice piece and I do love art-deco items. I imagine I'll keep it and fit it in with a few other items of the period I have.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Here is another. It may be the one you found. Anyway, they are saying it is made of "a dark gunmetal so probably pewter or spelter. There was a copper-colour finish to start with that has worn away." Also that it is signed "Ets C. & Cie (Etablissements C. & Compagnie), Made in France, N202."
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/295096027/1920s-large-art-deco-ashtray-pen-holder

I believe the company's name would translate from Éts C. & Cie to Établissements C & Compagnie to Establishments, C & Company in English.

--- Susan

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

What's flying around the tower? Are they airplanes, clouds, angels (Michael, Gabriel, Raphael...)? "It's a bird... It's a plane... It's superman!"

>but I also see a monkey.<
    I haven't see the monkey yet. Maybe after a couple of drinks this evening I might see the "Monkey." ;) When I read moreother...'s reply about seeing a "monkey" my first thought was, did the French do a "King Kong" movie with him climbing the Eiffel Tower.

--- Susan

Edit: Ooooh the back of the ashtray has a baboon face to it. Is this the monkey?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Just compare it to my avatar.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Huh! In my family, that would have read "Just compare it to my Uncle.............., or Aunt as the case may be........................"

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm seeing the face on the front. Once seen, never unseen

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You mean like this?
    [​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  13. KingofThings

Could it have something to so with The Spirit of St. Louis??? :)
    Perhaps what's thought to be a monkey is Charles Lindbergh's head in his leather helmet?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Aren't those things around the tower just clouds?
    It only says Paris at the bottom, no reference to Lindbergh or Transatlantic flight.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. KingofThings

I'm standing by for options. I've not looked that closely, just offering an idea since confusion abounds. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Yes? Did you call me? I'm here..................

17. KingofThings

YES!
    Glad to hear you are! ;)

18. Any Jewelry

Glad we can always count on you to add to any confusion. Although we were doing a pretty good job already.:confused::cyclops:
    (thought I'd use the cyclops, don't know what it's for, they used to scare me)