Featured Art Deco vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lark, Oct 14, 2022.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have had this vase for a while and would like to list it but I need some help on descriptive terms and age. There is a little wear of the gold on the handles consistent with being used. I am also unable to read the signature on the bottom. IMG_9040 (2).JPG IMG_9078.JPG IMG_9080.JPG IMG_9081.JPG I kept it for so long because I thought I might keep it but space is an issue.

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is hobbyist painted, the shapes are somewhat irregular. If so the signature would be the person who painted it followed by the date.

stracci, Bakersgma and ulilwitch like this.
  3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Very nice vase.

Geometric Butterfly Motif
    Interlocking Handles

Without searching and not knowing the date of this, I'd say it's on the cusp of Art Deco still having Art Nouveau influence.

stracci, Lark and ulilwitch like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say the same. A company in Bavaria made the blank, which was decorated elsewhere by someone who knew their stuff. Halfway between Arts and Crafts and Deco.

verybrad, stracci, Lark and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would say Jugendstil. Jugendstil, the German Art Nouveau, had both an angular, geometric style much like the later Art Deco, and a French inspired floral flourishes and Mucha girls style. This is the first, very German style, imo, with a hint of flourishes.

Woutinc, stracci, Lark and 4 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Makes sense - The French and Austro-Hungarian arts back when cross-fertilized a lot, and Deco came out of Continental art movements. Halfway between the two is Germany, more or less. No surprise the artists in those areas swapped ideas.

stracci, Lark and silverbell like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Artists all over Europe swapped ideas, but the austere, linear Jugendstil is purely German.
    The Austro-Hungarian designers hardly did austere, they mostly did typical Austro-Hungarian flamboyance and ott, think of Mucha and Klimt. And when they did linear, they couldn't help but add some gilded froufrou here and there.;)

In fact it was Germany that promoted interaction between artists of the period, including the British Arts & Crafts lot. More precisely art loving Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig von Hessen Darmstadt, who invited national and international artists to his Mathildenhöhe art colony in Darmstadt.

aaroncab, stracci, Lark and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the input.It gives me some good info for my listing. I was torn between calling it art deco and art nouveau and now I know why. I was amazed it survived in as good a shape as it has. I knew it was the artist sig, I was trying to read it but it probably doesn't matter to the value of the vase. I will just list it as signed. Now I have to go look up all those terms in Any Jewelry's response to further educate my self!

Any Jewelry and Roaring20s like this.
  9. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

10. Woutinc

Woutinc .wordpress.com

Very nice and wonderfull vase! I love that jugendstil and art deco/nouveau era.

That's indeed rather expecive @Lark I wouldn't pay it. Icould find nicer for less. But yeah, if you love it ....

Most expencive one i could find is eur 195, some lower. And a lot bavaria here is (still) for sale for tenners.
    https://www.marktplaats.nl/l/antiek...r:DECREASING|searchInTitleAndDescription:true
    And thrift and charity shop are full with Bavaria for less, so with some minor luck ...

Hope this gave some direction.
    I usually walk by them (bavaria doesn't have my interest, to young). Perhaps i should start looking more at those ... or do i have more enough/2much already? Questions questions ...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  11. Any Jewelry

I prefer yours. There are more Bavarian lake and mountain scenes on gilded porcelain than there are Jugendstil designs.;)

Woutinc likes this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have seen this stylized butterfly motif before. Likely from an arts and crafts period pattern book for hobby painters. Would not be surprised if this was painted in the US on an imported blank. Quality of the painting is not top-notch and I don't think it suits this particular blank. The second example is more appropriate.

kentworld likes this.
  13. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

What Brad said. German factories supplied a lot of china blanks.

Woutinc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted