Featured Art Glass Bowl - Bride's Bowl? Shades of Purple

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Oct 26, 2017.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone! Does anyone recognize this purple bowl? It is blown and the edge are pulled and crimped. It measures about 9 5/8" across and about 2 1/2" at it tallest. Any info regarding manufacturer, age, etc. would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20171025_132451453.jpg IMG_20171025_132459129.jpg IMG_20171025_132513733.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

weird....but pretty !!

Ghopper1924, aaroncab and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Well that is interesting. Never seen anything like that. Wonder if it might be English?

judy likes this.
  4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

My first thought was Jefferson but that comes from a faint memory of an article about crimps.

5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Yes, George, Jefferson had a patent on one particular press/crimp. I don't know if it applied to all designs or just the one, and this wasn't it.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like a bride's bowl, late 19th century. It wouldn't surprise me if it was manufactured in other colors as well.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your help and opinions. I'll do some more digging and report back if I find anything!
    Don

judy likes this.
  8. CharlesSabo

CharlesSabo New to antiques

My first thought was possibly Viking Glass

9. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

There is nothing about this piece that says Viking to me.

FWIW, brides basket is a collectors term, the pieces were never marketed in that way, though it's likely many were purchased as gifts. More likely they were period giftware since they really had no real purpose other than to look pretty.

George Nesmith, dgbjwc and gregsglass like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted