Art glass vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Dec 1, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Another 2 quid bargain. I think I would be better off saving up all my two quids and buying summat decent. Anyway I found this mystery thing. Another Murano or bust thingy. An attempt at toso or a cat been eating glitter and been sick?

IMG20231201233151_copy_1069x1426.jpg IMG20231201233155_copy_1057x1409.jpg IMG20231201233217_copy_973x1298.jpg IMG20231201233211_copy_1042x1390.jpg IMG20231201233159_copy_1031x1376.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To ME, it 'LOOKS' like a newer bottle has been sprayed (??) that reddish color then decorated.....My SIL had a sort of similar one, and she thought it looked dirty... she asked me to wash/clean it....which I was hesitant to, but when I did, the coloring started coming off!!!! So, JUST my opinion....which is subject to being wrong!!!!:rolleyes:

Figtree3, judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Art glass?

judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Chin-Not sure I'm picking up on all the Nadsat your speaking-but I like the bottle.I would've grabbed it.

judy and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Okay I will try washing and truth will out maybe :rolleyes: It didn't seem to be on the surface when I looked at it but will have a closer look when I get home. Currently on my travels to buy more poop.

judy and Houseful like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:
    A quid is a pound, summat is somewhat/something.
    I have no idea what toso is, probably Nadsat.:playful:

Chin, the odd local or idiosyncratic word or expression is no problem, but when people don't understand what you're trying to say, it is a problem. This is, after all, an international forum.
    With all our non-native speakers doing their best to write an understandable form of English, maybe you could do the same? I'm sure that is easier for a Mancunian than for, say, our Bulgarian and Ukrainian members.

7. Chinoiserie

Sorry I was drunk last night. I blame the port and brandy. When I have a slurp I slip into the manc init. Maybe Google translate has a manc or Geordie (Newcastle) dialect option.

Toso is a style of Murano in red with gold fleck in it.

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I understood it. Oops! What does that say about me…!

Fratelli Toso are a maker rather than a style. You might mean scavo which is roughened glass in a sort of Roman look. This may be scavo with aventurine .

9. Any Jewelry

That you're Bri'ish.;)
    I understood it too.:woot::woot::joyful:
    I just didn't know what toso was. But it turns out it is a surname, and I can't possibly know every Italian surname. I don't even know all Dutch surnames.:bucktooth:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  10. bosko69

Still not grokkin' the lingo,but it sure sounds purdy & is quite lyrical.Ditto OBB- You do shed your perfect grammar occasionally for a bit of Cockney (East End ?).
    Am currently reading a 1924 short story by Kipling-'The Wish House'.The two elderly farm wives converse in what Kipling calls 'ancient Sussex',by which I assume he means the local vernacular.
    You'd think after almost 60 years of Ealing,Goon Show,Dr. Who,Beatles,we Yanks would be a little more fluent w/ English slang-but alas,much of it reads like James Joyce to my old brain.
    “…after you'd drunk the old moloko… you got the messel that everything all round you was sort of in the past…”

Chinoiserie likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I got everything but the Toso name, because I'm not a glassie. I'm a Yank who's read too much British literature and watched too much Antiques Alley on Youtube. Takes me a sec to parse written Geordie, but I usually understand Scouse just fine. Go figure.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  12. bosko69

You've got more smarts than me for sure.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I ain’t no bleedin dick van dyke. We don’t do cod cockney down my ends.

Norf West Lahndon and I don’t go Sarf of the river. Innit.

My speech varies according to context. I talk fluent car boot on occasion.

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Dick Van Dyke is a bleedin' Yank, just like me! Cockney isn't understood too well here, especially the slang.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  15. bosko69

Did Dick Van Dyke do one of the worst Cockney accents in history ?

Chinoiserie likes this.
  16. Chinoiserie

Moirrry Pauuupins

pearlsnblume likes this.
  17. Chinoiserie

I was a penguin in the play at school. 'order what you will, there'll be no bill, it's complimentaryyyyy'

18. Chinoiserie

Thanks for the info. I will look it up. I was considering committing it to the coconut shy but there is almost hope. :eek:

19. Any Jewelry

He did. I didn't recognize it as Cockney at first.:oops:
    It is very difficult to speak convincingly with another accent.

Dutch actors often have to speak in a certain Dutch accent for a part, but so far I have only heard one Holland actress speak in a convincing accent from my part of Brabant (AJ's gold medal for Esmée van Kampen:woot:). Many others have tried, but they speak a 'mock' form of the accent, which either makes it sound ridiculous or gets on my nerves.

20. Ownedbybear

His “accent” was a crime against humanity.

Draft saved Draft deleted