Featured Art Nouveau Bracelet ~ Help with Signature

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by libbyloodle, Dec 22, 2020.

1. libbyloodle

libbyloodle Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone ~

First things first, agree with Art Nouveau?
    Authentic Art Nouveau 1890-1910? (most common date range on Google)

Forgot to measure but about 7" long. Not marked for content that I can see, but soft and easily bendable. I haven't done anything to clean it. I see bubbles in the stones. Bubbles means glass, right? No laughing :p I seriously just learned that...my very first bit of stone knowledge!

Thanks.
    bracelet art nouveau (1).jpg
    bracelet art nouveau (2).jpg
    bracelet art nouveau (3).jpg
    bracelet art nouveau (4).jpg

2. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Love it! Leslie

libbyloodle and KSW like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Art Nouveau is a design style, not all jewelry made from 1890-1910 is Art Nouveau. That said I see Art Nouveau inspiration in the swirling lines but I'm not sure about it being from the original period. I just don't know enough about the mark (could it be Egyptian?) and the toggle clasp doesn't seem that old to me. But wait for smarter people than me to come along and weigh in :)

libbyloodle and KSW like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The individual plaques are very reminiscent of Charles Horner. But, that mark looks Arabic. I'd suspect brass set with glass. I like it rather. Someone decided they liked Art Nouveau. I do think newer, too.

libbyloodle likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm not seeing that much age on it, maybe none at all.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

agreed

libbyloodle likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pretty bracelet, and I agree, Art Nouveau inspired. So another vote for later.
    The mark is a manufacturer's mark, not an assay mark. What can I say, the manufacturer liked swirls for both the design and the mark.;)

libbyloodle likes this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Looking again, the mark reminds me of that Hindu Om symbol a bit.

libbyloodle likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That was what it reminded me of. Could be another Devanagari letter, or could just be a swirl.

libbyloodle and Ownedbybear like this.
  10. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I love it! OP, are you planning on selling it?

libbyloodle likes this.
  11. libbyloodle

Hi Marie...I should have been more clear. I was trying to ask if it was just art nouveau inspired, or if it might be true art nouveau (as in created during that time period) I know other styles were made 1890-1910.

KSW likes this.
  12. libbyloodle

Hi OBB...tell me more about brass, if you don't mind. Not sure I've had jewelry made with it. Is it easily bendable? This is. I was actually thinking it might be unmarked silver because of that. Originally, the links were all flat. I had to give them a curve to make it fit around my wrist. I was surprised at how easy it was to bend them...silver is the only thing I know that bends like that ~ but I have much to learn :confused:

13. libbyloodle

Hi evelyb30...if you don't mind, can you tell me what's missing to indicate age? Does that make sense? I really thought this did have some age to it, so now I'd like to learn from it. Thanks :wacky:

14. libbyloodle

It does, a bit.

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Without a maker's mark which can be identified,it's impossible to date many pieces. There are makers who use original dies from the late 1800's to make their jewelry today. see link. https://hugokohl.com/unearth-the-story/

libbyloodle likes this.
  16. libbyloodle

Absolutely :D just as soon as I'm sure what it is, or is not!!

17. Ownedbybear

There's a fair bit of late 19th into early 20th jewelery that's brass. Bohemian garnets were often set in it, for example. And it went on being used way beyond then - 1930s stuff, like Neiger even. It can be bendable if it's thin or hollow, yes. Did you try a magnet on it at all?

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It just doesn't have any "old" on it, even less on the back than the front. The back is all new, the maker's mark is all new. The clasp is wrong. The jump rings are 1970s or later.

19. libbyloodle

Yes, not magnetic.

20. libbyloodle

Thank you. I'll figure it out after a while, I guess. I should have started earlier (in life) :shame:

Draft saved Draft deleted