Featured Art Nouveau Ceiling Light with Vaseline Ceiling Light with Vaseline Pendant Shade?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Suzy, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Suzy

Suzy Member

25 inch long Art Nouveau (?) ceiling light, complete with original ceiling plate. The fitting is unmarked, but has some typical WAS Benson elements in its construction - it also has a typically Powell large, striped, Vaseline pendant shade. Could it have been commissioned? Maybe I am right off the beaten track - any experts out there who could help me out - would be very grateful :)

Dimensions (all measurements are approx., but to the nearest):

Pendant fitting dimensions:
    Height: 17.5"
    Diameter: 8.25" (at its widest point)

Ceiling plate dimensions:
    Depth: 1"
    Diameter: 3.25"

Vaseline glass shade dimensions:
    Height: 14 cm
    Diameter: 12 cm

Overall dimensions once assembled:
    Height: 25"
    Diameter: 8.25" (at its widest point)

Condition:
    When I was originally given this light it had been painted with an awful, thick, gold metallic paint. I have very carefully stripped the paint off, I think the result is pretty good but it's hard to work out what metal it is made from.

The Vaseline shade pendant is in perfect condition, so chips, scratches or cracks.

All help appreciated :)

IMG_7185.jpg IMG_7186.jpg IMG_7187.JPG IMG_7188.JPG IMG_7189.JPG IMG_7191.jpg

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not A Clue! but cool looking light, there should be lighting people along shortly.
    WELCOME to the board!

3. Suzy

Suzy Member

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I am absolutely no help with answering any of your questions but I just want to say your light fixture is gorgeous!

I wonder if it could have been silver-plated brass? Might be worth testing the silver-ish area.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe chromium-plated?
    It is beautiful.

Suzy, bluumz, James Conrad and 8 others like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can only say that it looks to me like silverplated brass too, and I'm not one who is offended by honest wear to plating (you did a great job cleaning off the paint) - and will add that it is lovely, one of those items that just really pleases the eye...

~Cheryl

Suzy, James Conrad, judy and 6 others like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Can't help you with period, but I wanted to compliment you on your lamp, which is wonderful, and your post for such great information and attention to detail.

Suzy, James Conrad, judy and 7 others like this.
  8. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

It's a beauty!

Suzy, James Conrad, judy and 4 others like this.
  9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Very pretty and you should be commended for getting that paint off of it.

Simpler form than the 'whiplash curves' you see a lot in the Nouveau period, but would agree that it is an Art Nouveau piece.

Those screw-together lampholder/light sockets were popular around that time period, too. Seems devoid of patina, though. You didn't happen to see a name stamped into the socket shell, did you?

Suzy, James Conrad, judy and 6 others like this.
  10. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I can't really add anything to what everyone above has already said!!!!! It's a LOVELY lamp!!!!!:singing::singing::singing::):)

Suzy, James Conrad, judy and 5 others like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the glass shades are acid etch marked. Look closely inside the upper rim. Hard to find if it should be there.

Suzy, James Conrad, sabre123 and 5 others like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add much more. Agree with an art nouveau designation. Definitely not American and thinking more likely Continental than English.

Suzy, James Conrad, sabre123 and 3 others like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My that is drool worthy ! Id yank out something to hang it up and use it!I dont know,anyone else see art deco influence ? Maybe its right on the cusp ?

Suzy, James Conrad, sabre123 and 6 others like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

My first thought was Jugendstil, German Art Nouveau, which often has much more 'controlled' lines than for instance French or Belgian Art Nouveau. Some of the designs look more Art Deco.

16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Love the shade. Would think there is a high incidence of such shades getting dropped & broken, so perhaps this shade is not original to the fixture, confusing the manufacture?

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Glass looks French.

Suzy, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  18. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Suzy ... Fabulous Lamp !!! ... Joy. :)

Suzy, Bronwen, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  19. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I kind of had that thought about the likelihood of having that shade survive for 100+ years, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted