Featured Art Nouveau (?) Vase, woman's face and dragons or gargoyles handles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This was with dishware at a resale store today... What can you tell me?

6" tall, inside is a shiny ceramic, base and exterior is unglazed (?) more bisque-like. The panel with the woman's face is also shiny ceramic.

I will be keeping for a while. I like it a lot, very different from what I usually find. Would appreciate anything you can tell me about origin, possible maker, date.

(Last photo in direct sun which makes it look a bit brighter than it actually is, but you get a great view of the portrait.)

Thanks!

vase1.jpg vase2.jpg vase3.jpg vase4.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    aaroncab, Aquitaine, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, that is a beautiful piece Lucille! My first thoughts are Czech or Amphora, but I don't think the base is right for Amphora. Is there a small oval mark just above the numbers 14?
    I'll see if I can find anything.
    I would be keeping it too!

3. Lucille.b

Thanks, cx. I don't see anything written above the 14 on close inspection. I'm sure it was the lack of signature that put this piece out with the dishware.

I also wondered if it could be Amphora. If you find anything, let me know. Thanks!

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

5. Lucille.b

Wow, cx. Amazing research skills!

That vase is a bit fancier and a tad larger, can't believe you found it...with the same woman on the side! Would mine possibly be from the same maker, or did other companies use the same portrait? (That question goes out to everyone.)

Thank you, cx!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

No, yours isn't from the same maker. From that line on your base I'm fairly certain it will be Czech. I imagine different companies would use the same lady - is yours hand painted? No idea who she is though. I'll keep looking.

Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Princess Leia!!!! :)

8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I have a vintage or antique framed print with the same portrait hanging in my hallway. Unfortunately, t's unsigned and doesn't have any info about the print on the back. It's a really lovely image!

I think the seller that attributed the portrait to Mucha was most likely mistaken... my sense is that the original painting the image was taken from is probably older than Art Nouveau.

11. Lucille.b

Thank you cx, Janet and Pat.

The links are so interesting and helpful. Fascinating to see the variations. Both attributed to Robert Hanke, Austria.

What I find interesting is the combination of sentry dragons--which almost have a airbrushed look, green bleeding into a dusty dark pink and then a sprinkling of gold dust over the top, these and the rest of the piece on matte bisque --contrasting with the high gloss smooth ceramic of the beautiful portrait of the woman.

Mine has essentially no damage which is lucky. Just a tiny flake on the base.

I'm enjoying seeing others by Robert Hanke. He loved his dragons!

Thanks for the help with this.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think this is Hanke. The few pieces I have seen have had glazed bottoms and, frankly, seemed better quality.

cxgirl, Lucille.b and KingofThings like this.
  13. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

although today classified under Jugendstil/art nouveau, there was also Symbolism. the original painting was probably from that direction.

14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I don't think Hanke either - it is a beautiful piece whoever made it:)

15. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'd say one of the Pre-Raphaelite painters. I just scrolled through a few images and didn't find it. It's probably a queen from mythology or history.

16. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have had several Hanke pieces and this is not one of his. The base is all wrong. I may still have some photographs of the pieces and the bases, if I do, I'll post them for you to compare.

17. whatmamahad

whatmamahad Well-Known Member

Hi, The vase is Exquisite. Do you know if the panel of the woman is signed?
    Considering she is wearing a crown, it's possible she's a member of royalty. Russian? Czech? Note the black markings on the fur wrap. I've seen this design many times, usually in paintings of royalty.
    Good Luck.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. whatmamahad

Hi (again ,
    In addition to my comments, posted a few minutes ago, I meant to point out that the birds have certain elements common to images of dragons.

KingofThings likes this.
  19. whatmamahad

Hi, I've researched the marks and I'm fairly certain the vase is Czech. Why? The red numerical mark. I've seen this type of mark on, almost, every piece of Czech pottery I've seen. Of course, I could be wrong.

Lucille.b likes this.
  20. Lucille.b

Thank you, whatmamahad, I do think that's probably what this is.

Much appreciation for everyone who helped with this piece!

Draft saved Draft deleted