Featured Art purchase, giclee or copy --possible learning opportunity

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lucille.b, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

This was at my local GW a few days ago, just out. Unsigned, I felt it was pretty well done. Interesting at the least. It is huge, outer frame measuring 44" x 22".

It seemed like it might be a copy of something, I can easily reverse image search something on my computer, but could not figure it on my android phone. Not something I need to do very often, but I suppose wouldn't hurt to learn if that was an option.

There is texture to it so it isn't a print unless painted over. On the back there is a sticker from a Wilmette and Evanston, IL art store. This gave me some encouragement as Wilmette and Evanston are in a wealthy part of Chicago. (Store no longer open, in business for a few years mid-90s.)

Desperately trying to avoid purchase mistakes. Esp. anything large, lol. :wacky: But this was one of those things, having not ID'd it, my brain: I was going to never have to work another day for the rest of my life ....or I was out $35. It just seemed like an interesting work, not your everyday painting that might have some value and decided to get it. Also the thought of passing on it, only to see in the local paper the following week: "Priceless painting found at Goodwill..." Yes, I tend to over-think things at times.

If I was more of an art expert I would have instantly recognized this as a painting that is in the Art Institute of Chicago by Doris Lee, title: Thanksgiving.

So, what did I buy? A giclee? Someone's painted copy of the famous painting? Any value beyond $35? Technically I can still return it, but I kind of know the manager of the store and sort of dreading the idea of marching in with this ginormous thing.

Learning opportunity questions:

Remote location reverse image search. Any tips?
    Does a giclee have actual paint texture?
    Would trying for $50 on CL make sense?

Thanks!

art1a.jpg

art1aa.jpg

art1.jpg
    aart.jpg

art1ab.jpg

art2.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE IT!!!! So, does yours have texture? I would think that would make it worth more at any rate!! I just love the subject matter, the caricature-like figures, the busy-ness of it all, the colors and depth of it....like a shadow box almost!!!! I would think it would be very desirable!! But maybe that's just me!

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I think you bought a giclee print with hand painted accents.

kyratango, Fid, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm going with a hand-painted copy ...there are definitely differences from the original in the details. It looks like a painting to me.

pearlsnblume, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. antidiem

Thanks, Aaron, I didn't look at any original that wasn't posted lol.

Fid, pearlsnblume, Lucille.b and 2 others like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't answer any of your questions - but that would make a great image for a jigsaw puzzle! Carry on! :muted:

7. aaroncab

kyratango, Aquitaine, Fid and 5 others like this.
  8. aaroncab

Also...seems like a good buy to me at $35.

9. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I love it! I'm sure someone on CL would buy it if you can't find a place for it in your home.

kyratango, antidiem, Zinnie and 3 others like this.
  10. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I have never gotten google reverse image search to work on my android, but www.tineye.com works fine. I also have Pixlr (free app) for quick crop, minor adjustments. At tineye, click on the up arrow next to the search box and then select the file you want to research. It may take a second or two of looking like it didn't work, but it probably did and will soon show results. :smuggrin:

11. aaroncab

I can second the recommendation on the Pixlr android app...works great for me. For google image search I use an android app called "search by image". Haven't had any problems with it.

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Love your picture!

13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks all. Appreciate the tips on reverse image, etc.

@aaroncab , I think I am inclined to agree with you that this is someone's copy of the painting, rather than a giclee. Don't know why I didn't think of this, but I brought a shot of the original up on my computer and held it right next to the painting, of course I'm comparing a 8" version to a 44" real life, but I do see small differences. The only other explanation would be some kind of over-painted giclee print, that wasn't over-painted very well. The whole thing is canvas but I think giclees are done on canvas.

It is actually a little more interesting to me if someone painted this entire thing, though. When I was doing my comparison I realized the one I have is dirty. No smells to it, but sort of yellowed, possibly cigarette smoke.

Hmmm. Now what to do with it. I'd be much more likely to rearrange my living room to find a spot for display if this was not a copy of a known work. I prefer original art, even if it is a bit rough. I do like the fact that this is someone's painting rather than a giclee, but we'll see. Thanks!

kyratango, antidiem and aaroncab like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I tend to agree with aaroncab: a copy.

kyratango, judy, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

16. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I think I like yours better, Lucille, as it appears more colorful than the original, even if stained like you suspect. Oddly, though, I thought I saw this painting just last night on Netflix. Turns out a similar one (red and white tiled kitchen scene) is hanging in a very expensive, high-tech Med Sea house, one of Charlie Luxton's series (ep 4, at the end). The painting was so unusual for the setting, I noticed it right away. I think the owners are from Sweden? And maybe this reminds them of back home. Are red and white tiles a particular/common theme there? Either way, your painting, which is very well painted, even if a copy, was a really good buy, imo. :) red-white-tiles.jpg

kyratango, judy and antidiem like this.
  17. Zinnie

Zinnie Well-Known Member

I forgot to ask: what does CL stand for? I know GW but CL is new (to me).

And thank you for posting these terrific resource links, I open and save them all. ;)

kyratango, antidiem and Lucille.b like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

19. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

I always love those pictures in the newspapers that had two similar cartoon drawing and you had to find 7 differences.

So many on yours and theirs. Small things like where the kittens feet land on the tile and the ladies hand in reference to the cup on the self. Legs on the stool to the floor tile etc etc etc.... Ok honestly, I had fun :)

kyratango, Aquitaine, judy and 5 others like this.
  20. antidiem

Thanks Aaron! Agreed, someone painted a smaller copy of it, which is def nicer than a giclee any day! :cat:

I found the ball of yarn on the floor for the cat is misplaced. I rather think this was done intentionally, not sure tho.

Zinnie, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted