Featured ART vintage brooch. What is this style called.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by janettekay, Aug 2, 2021.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Hi all, still going through Mom's old jewelry box. Here is a marked ART brooch. 1 3/4 in . I know it is Arthur Pepper. Trying to pin down date AND what this "pebble" like style is called. And is it glass or plastic. The application looks so irregular (ie a few sparse spots) was thinking it is damaged or was it just made this way.

TIA Janette

art pin full resized.JPG Art pin back resized.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like little glass balls heated enough to fuse to one another, applied in a lump & then spread out a little. Have never seen this technique before, so have no name for it.

KSW, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I'm with Bronwen, looks like glass to me.

Try the tooth tap test to determine if it is glass or plastic. Tap it on your front teeth, then tap known pieces of plastic and glass, you will feel the difference :)

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

When I've seen similar ones they were made of epoxy and chips of semi-precious stones. This one's glass and may be a hair later - mid-1970s or something. Beyond that dunno.

5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Looks like the stone in the center contains aventurine. The pebbly stuff looks like melted fused seed beads to me. Just observational comments, other than that I have no knowledge of what that technique is called.

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  6. evelyb30

The center stone is glass too. Made to kinda-sorta look like turquoise but not really fool anyone.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHAHA!!! The look like different colored little spoonfuls of tapioca puddings!!!!!

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

It does! It's a bubble tea brooch!

KSW, judy, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  9. janettekay

Thank you all !!! Have a few more pins to post in a few days for ID.

KSW, judy and Bronwen like this.
  10. janettekay

Just to see if any more suggestions...think I will be listing this and some items in next few day....TIA !!

KSW likes this.
  11. janettekay

FYI..just to throw this in...there is a set on Ebay..butterfly pin and earrings...seller says.."stone encrusted".

Draft saved Draft deleted