Featured Arthur Beaumont Watercolor and hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Art' started by FlowingHair, Dec 16, 2019.

1. FlowingHair

FlowingHair Active Member

Hello everyone I’m new to this forum, and i am glad I have found you guys. :)
    I stumbled upon you while doing one of my favorite things, researching art. And I’m excited to learn from you all, and will also do my best to contribute as much as I can.
    I’m fluent in German so if anyone ever needs a translation feel free to ask, I’m happy to help where I can.

So here is one of my favorite finds,
    this is an Arthur Beaumont watercolor I’ve found a while ago.
    I think it is very special.
    He was a great artist and there is a lot of information about him.
    And he most definitely had a very interesting life!
    But I was not able to find anything about the watercolor I own anywhere online.
    But I do suspect that the sketch I have found on the back of my watercolor once I got home,
    is from a „rare 1920s sketch“ that got sold at an auction in the uk.
    Perhaps a case of running out of paper?

I would love to know what you guys think.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. FlowingHair

Thank you ☺️ And I will definitely do that!

4. i need help

Folks will be along to comment.

judy, FlowingHair and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Which A. Beaumont do you have information on?

There is an Arthur Beaumont, a California water colorist, who specialized(?) in Naval and Marine painting. Yours looks more like an editorial/fashion illustration for a magazine... Welcome!

Screenshot 2019-12-16 21.02.01.png

judy, kyratango and i need help like this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Was your Arthur Beaumont an architect? I am quite certain that is a study by the same artist's hand also taped to the back.

Please tell us what you know about him. Is he from the UK or Germany?

Welcome to Antiquers forum! :cat:

judy, i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  7. FlowingHair

Just one, the Arthur Beaumont that in the 1930s became a lieutenant in the United States Navy Reserve where he started to paint battleships etc. He immigrated to the US via Canada but was born In England.

antidiem, judy and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

scoutshouse and FlowingHair like this.
  9. FlowingHair

scoutshouse and i need help like this.
  10. i need help

0C21292A-2567-4590-B86C-EA05D5804FDA.jpeg It is a confusion? Maybe someone can figure it out. The handwriting and style look different to me, but I could be wrong. See what others think. :)

FlowingHair and scoutshouse like this.
  11. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

The clothing on yours seems to be from the 60s, fitting the date by the signature... Same on the invaluable piece.

I understand he left his wife and family in the US for a fellowship in Europe in 1925, but these just don't seem that early to me, nice as they are.

Trying to make sense of it.

Where did you find it, @FlowingHair?

FlowingHair and i need help like this.
  12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I also think the style of clothing, skirts and dresses above the knee suggest 1960's along with the cars that look late 50's early 60's.

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yep, the period is right. Older woman with longer skirt, younger woman with shorter. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a student piece. It's very sketchy and a fully-trained artist wouldn't have shown his linear perspective-hand with the street curb drawn through the figures.

Debora

i need help, FlowingHair and antidiem like this.
  14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Both signatures shown on the architectural styled pieces match, I think those were painted by the same hand, and the fact of the 1970s seems correct for these two (I was unable to see the signature on a third of the same style).

Despite the attribution by the 2 pieces listed on the Invaluable site, I doubt this to be the same artist that did the paintings of the ships. The watercolor painting styles and pallet color choices are in no way similar.

I hope someone can shed some light. Is it possible that Beaumont had a son by the same name also involved with watercolor painting, and this has been historically confused? Sure looks like 2 different artists to me. Could online geneological records show such a father-son relationship?

FlowingHair and i need help like this.
  15. i need help

antidiem, FlowingHair and scoutshouse like this.
  16. FlowingHair

I have found it in a thrift store in Nevada. And I do agree the the clothing does not fit with the invaluable piece that was advertised as a 1920s drawing, because true they did not wear short skirts back then. The auction stated that it was that Arthur Beaumont who painted in the navy and the signature is the same as I have which led me to believe that it was the same artist. As mine with clothe that fits the timeframe of 1965 the 1920s drawing definitely does not. I’m back at researching and trying to figure out more.:shame:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  17. i need help

1EC111DB-1105-468B-A5D8-2AA724790905.jpeg Maybe this will help determine who the Architectural Arthur is/was.

scoutshouse and FlowingHair like this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This sketch does appear to be by the same artist and is signed "A. Beaumont" in same hand. The seller claims work by Arthur Beaumont but doesn't provide proof other than stating that his name and address on back. No photograph is included so not to be believed until seen. The sketch is also mis-identified as to year. The women's clothing dates it to the 1960s. (Arthur Beaumont lived/studied in London from 1920-32.) After seeing second work, I don't think artist a student or amateur (although he's clearly more confident with architecture than human figures.) There's something rather illustrative about these. Wonder if they were preliminary sketches for a commercial work.

Debora

H3541-L09589217.jpg

19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah... Thank you. That's very helpful. Let's see what we can make of that.

Debora

20. FlowingHair

So we definitely have two additional artworks besides mine from the same artist, mine signed A. Beaumont the wrong advertised 1920s sketch signed A. Beaumont as well and this one https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/arthur-beaumont-watercolor-elm-rowe-hampstead-37-c-d5abf1233d signed Arthur Beaumont?

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted