Featured Article On Thrift Stores And Secondhand Goods

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I always find these articles fascinating although they don't talk about much the regular here hasn't heard many times. I am happy they concentrating on talking about thrifts and estate sales and NOT estate auctions which are my bread and butter for finding quality goods at a reasonable price. I think the are right with their premise that there is more low quality stuff out there per person than ever before.

'The Best Thing You Can Do Is Not Buy More Stuff,' Says 'Secondhand' Expert
    https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/7847...1PS-5cxyPVWpaGAx2NDEhlt594-5FI9UBjUru31Lmacxo

2. crazycrowlady

crazycrowlady Active Member

My husband just bought me the book :)

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What Id like to know is why thrifts are putting chipped,cracked and outright broken products on the shelves ??? Not only are they doing that,they are cleverly placing tags over defects that you dont see until you get home. I was very surprised to hear only 1/3 actually gets sold. I knew how Hoodwill rolled because I worked at one.I call it Hoodwill because I feel like its a huge scam. Anything fine quality or expensive rarely made it to the floor. Youd also be surprised how much cash,jewelry,drugs etc they found stashed in clothes. One example I tell everyone when Hoodwill is mentioned is the time a German gentleman owned a high end camera store in St. Pete. He died suddenly and his family just basically donated the entire store (I guess they didnt want the hassle) .Long story short,there were boxes of expensive cameras and accessories that were stored in a locked cage only the management had access to. Over the space of a week I watched those boxes empty like magic,and not one thing made it to the floor. Rant over . :)

lloyd249, kyratango, Lva483 and 3 others like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Interesting article, but nothing I haven't heard before....I'll just add this..
    Immigrants & other folk new to our country...have a vast array of usable ...cheap items at their fingertips....because of what we donate.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Funny. Was my first thought, "... maybe I should get that book...."

pearlsnblume, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

And why do they staple, or otherwise afix, the price tag right through a prominent place on the front of the garment?? Even with the most careful removal efforts a tiny hole is left in its wake. I've walked away from many a gorgeous vintage garment due to this practice... and several modern pieces I would have liked to have for myself.
    Every time it happens, I think to myself, "Don't they want to sell this stuff?"

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

because...it's the under paid overworked staff.....how could not give a rats ass about the condition of their used products...

bluumz, lloyd249, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or just ignorance. It's one reason I don't "do" clothing much. Then there's the Ill Will that uses a paint pen to ink prices onto some items. (ARGGGH!)

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

And let us not forget when they put thick packing tape on something like a Culver 22K gold decorated glass so when you try to get it off, it takes off the gold. Ugh.

And when they put price stickers directly over the mark we need to see

10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I just blatantly peel the sticker off. :p:p:p

I also carry a small pair of blunt end scissors to cut the tape that is wrapped around multiple pieces. I have been disappointed too many times when you get home & find the ones in the middle are damaged. :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Grateful, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

After I "test" the sticker or packing tape to see if there is a chance of getting it off without damage, I'll purchase if the price is right and take home and use a hairdryer on low to soften the adhesive. Usually get lucky, but not always.

bluumz, kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

One thrift store I know, puts the sticker and the tape and the plastic wrap (the thick kind you have to cut thru) around and on the items. If they catch you taking off the stuff, they have a fit. This store is not known for customer service and they never smile. In fact, they look like they are daring you to ask a question. You can be assured, when you leave, you will feel like the workers there are glad to see one less person shopping. It is like our version of Savers.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  13. evelyb30

One thrift I know uses wax pencil to write on the ceramic and glass items. (phew) Some put price stickers on old leather. (argggh!) You can't use Goo Gone on that; it damages the leather as badly as the sticker would.

bluumz and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

Grease pencil comes off pretty easy on some things. I hate the smell of Goo Gone it gives me a headache. I have found Dawn dish washing liquid to be one of the best items for things I bring home. It even works well on clothes, just a dab will do ya.

bluumz and bercrystal like this.
  15. evelyb30

It works on furbabies too, if you get a new one. They use Dawn as flea soap on kittens.

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. Smudged

Smudged Well-Known Member

Lighter fluid works well to dissolve adhesive on paper and other items and simply evaporates. We used to use it to remove old selotape when I was a restoration book binder. Lots of the charity shops here use sticky labels on things, i hate it. They are also selling a lot more online so it's getting harder to find things when out hunting.

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  17. evelyb30

Next problem - just try and find lighter fluid here.(LOL)

Smudged likes this.
  18. Smudged

Smudged Well-Known Member

Really? Wow, we can get it anywhere that sells cigarettes over here, or in supermarkets!

19. evelyb30

I haven't seen any in years, but then again I haven't shopped anywhere they still sell tobacco in years either.

pearlsnblume and Smudged like this.
  20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Draft saved Draft deleted