Article on Vintage Pennants

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hello Folks,

I've slowly been dipping my toe into this collecting area. My collecting has been mostly vintage professional sports team pennants not college pennants but I would be interested in those from my alma mater if I came across them at a reasonable price.

Thought the article (below) was interesting and it might be a good area to look out for. At an estate auction I attended about 6 months ago a notable antique dealer purchased a box of vintage baseball pennants and programs for $800 and ever since I've been trying to keep an eye on the market. I watch the dealer's eBay store and he has done very well on his $800 investment so far on the pieces he has sold.

However be careful of the many reproductions floating out there.

The bull market in vintage college pennants
    http://fortune.com/2014/03/06/the-bull-market-in-vintage-college-pennants/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Being in a college town, we sell vintage school memorabilia quite well. A couple of our dealers actively buy local origination pieces on-line to sell in the shop for nice profit. Pennants always fly out the door.

As an aside, one of the coolest items I have ever seen was a quilt that incorporated pennants from Ivy league schools circa 1910. It was at a big outdoor market here in the Midwest and priced $300.00, but I am sure negotiable. I thought the price more than fair but had no convenient outlet to sell it, pre-ebay days.

Joe2007 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted