Featured Article On Vintage Tupperware

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Vintage Tupperware may be worth a lot more than what you paid for it
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...an-what-you-paid-for-it/ar-BBTvhXq?ocid=ientp

I have some vintage Tupperware that I bought cheap and currently have stored away for future resale but I don't think that the majority of Tupperware is going to ever be collectable or worth much. Sure some retro canister sets may look neat on a shelf but I assume most Tupperware enthusiasts buy to use so that limits the appeal and the price appreciation in my opinion.

Your Thoughts?

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    All of my yard sales all said NO CLOTHES, NO BABY THINGS NO TUPPERWARE.
    I have sold a lot of old vintage Tupper things. If it says Tupperware I do not even look. The older stuff just has Tupper on it. The MoMA in NYC has some older Tupper pieces in a collection. As far as I see anything that says TUPPERWARE is never going to be worth much since millions of pieces were made. The older stuff that says Tupper or a lot of it says nothing is worth something. To me Tupperware is like the Beanie babies.
    greg

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, I had a great-aunt whose best friend had a go at selling just about everything you could sell from home: Avon, Sarah Coventry, Tupperware, etc. I was often the recipient of whatever her friend happened to be selling at the time.

In the late 1970's, when I got engaged, Great Anne A started buying me Tupperware. (I had been living on my own for a while, but apparently MARRIAGE warranted Tupperware.)

Over the years, I accumulated a ton of Wonderlier bowls, in sizes from small to extravagantly large. I used some of them, but I always found them cumbersome: round, tippy, and hard to stack in the refrigerator. The lids seemed to discolor, turning a cloudy yellow, and sometimes they no longer sealed tightly on the bowls.

When I discovered square and rectangular storage containers, I left the round bowls stacked in a huge drawer. There they remained, out of sight and out of mind.

When we downsized the first time, the Tupperware had to go. I gave it to Habitat for Humanity. It was apparently a good seller for them, as the next time I dropped off a donation, the store manager asked if I might have any more of it. I don't know why anyone wanted it, but obviously, someone did.

Personally, I don't think it's worth hanging on to - or trying to sell - but that's just me.

4. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I've sold loads of Tupperware...not for huge prices but if I buy something for 50p and sell if for £10, I'm happy and that does happen xx

Joe2007, SBSVC and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Well here is my 2 cents. We did not have tupperware when I was a kid.
    We had saran wrap and tin foil so it was not in my train of thought at all.
    In my 20's, some of my friends took me to Tupperware parties and I bought a few things here and there.

What people say now that I have heard, is that the old tupperware holds up much better than the new tupperware. So there is that that appeals to the customers.
    I have a tupperware pitcher I use for water (it has got to be 25 years old)

I have a friend on Etsy who sells a lot of tupperware, the older kind, because she was selling tupperware many moons ago as a way to get out of a bad financial situation and a terrible marriage. So she has quite a bit to sell off and is doing well with it.

I really should get rid of the mine. I have that tupperware cake taker thingy... but since I am GF I have no desire to make any cake now at all. So it should be sold, but it is hard to let go of my baking stuff.:(:(:(

Joe2007 and SBSVC like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I've been slowly changing my mind on vintage Tupperware. Over the last few years I've seen a ton of it being sold here locally in antique malls, peddlers malls, vintage markets, and such at really strong prices. Seems to be gaining momentum as a collectable.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. pearlsnblume

Yep. some vintage Tupperware sells really well and at high prices. Be on the look out for the vintage shakers. Some are selling even in lousy shape.

judy likes this.
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You have to be careful. Only the VINTAGE age stuff that says Tupper instead of Tupperware is valued. The newer stuff that says Tupperware is still made by the thousands every year. The only thing that I look for is the lettuce saver, it is still the best for saving lettuce. I only had that said Tupper. It lasted for many years but just disintegrated. The newer ones that say Tupperware are still great. The MOMA has a set of early Tupper which it collected in the 1960s. Just remember grab the stuff that says Tupper NOT Tupperware.
    greg

Houseful, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

I never knew it was a thing to collect till I noticed it on etsy.

Also what might be worth reselling if you can find it, some Vintage Rubbermaid products. During lock down here I found I had some pieces which I will list one day. I don't think I ever used it.

As with both, used ones can smell bad and be discolored.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm still using early to mid 70s Tupper, it's brilliant. ORANGE. And YELLOW.

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted