Featured Artist? English? Who?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Adrianzetan, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Adrianzetan

Adrianzetan Active Member

6AE420E4-0252-41B0-8877-DBB40A061102.jpeg 836D5F5E-2A05-45DF-815C-815A52F0EC5E.jpeg A6215EC3-423C-485E-AB71-074E359DAA7E.jpeg I have this painting. The art is painted on a kitchen door. Can someone help me identify this painting? Best Regards kristin

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Adrianzetan

The back. Can’t read the text..

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Kristin!

I can't read the signature, but am wondering if you live in Scandinavia as your name might suggest?

I like the painting.........
    migrating reindeer in Lapland?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Kristin, could you please go back to 'edit' click on 'full image' for the photos?
    Kristin is in Sweden.:)
    No reindeer, looks more like red deer to me.
    The signature looks like K. Tavich.

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think the signature might be W Tavish?

On the back it looks to me like:

No
    Effects of the _ifle (rifle?)
    J Siles (Sites?)
    4 -------- Street
    Aberdeen

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. Any Jewelry

They are a European and Asian species. We have them here in the Netherlands as well, but we call them edelhert, which means noble deer.
    You may know the painting 'Monarch of the Glen' by Landseer, that is a red stag.
    I remembered from another thread. Maybe her introduction, or first thread?

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

One of the things I do on a piece with this kind of info is start looking at genealogical records (and yes, I do have access to worldwide records, not just USA)...

What's interesting here is that "Tavish" by itself appears to be quite rare. Rare enough, it's the kind of name I generally chalk up to typos. Now, we're talking about quick looks, not in depth research, so nothing in written in stone.

But "Mc" or "Mac" Tavish, that appears to be a real name. So I'm wondering if your artist might actually be Scottish.

10. Any Jewelry

Tavish is a Scottish Christian name, I think it is the same as Thomas. McTavish is son of Tavish, like McDonald is son of Donald.
    Christian names can be used as surnames as well.

11. Jivvy

Yes, but historically, with the records I quickly accessed, there are only a handful of people using it as a surname. And the ones I glanced were all living in the USA. And we all know what happens to names when people move to the USA. :wideyed:

Anyway, it turns out that the artist @say_it_slowly found is Scottish. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Giles_(painter)

12. Any Jewelry

Kristin lives in Europe, and red deer are a Eurasian species, so Scottish is more likely than North American.;)

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  13. Jivvy

Oh goodness, I wasn't suggesting the artist was North American. Just that the only plain "tavish" I found were North Americans and that liberties were taken with names over here. :hilarious:

No, I think the Scottish name with Giles also being Scottish... I wonder if Tavish wasn't apprentice/employee of Giles.

14. Jivvy

judy, Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  15. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It is the same shape of view in the two pictures! Round corners on top, square at the bottom:woot:

It would be very interesting to know the size of yours, @Kristinpersson, to compare with the Giles one in the link above, whose mesurements are:
    14.5"h x 29.5"w, overall (with frame): 24.5"h x 39.5"w

judy, Figtree3, i need help and 2 others like this.
  16. Adrianzetan

Im from sweden.

17. Adrianzetan

I'll look into it! be right back.

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Is the writing on the back written on a separate piece of paper, as the one that @Jivvy found appears to be? I hope so, because otherwise would be confused as to how an original painting by Giles would have a signature of somebody else on it?

It was suggested by @say_it_slowly that the person whose sig is on the front was copying the painting by Giles. However, in that case the question still occurs to me... how is something that appears to be in Giles' handwriting attached to the back of a painting that might have been copied from his by somebody else?

Also, I don't necessarily think the last name is either Tavish or Tavich. The last two letters especially are very unclear to me. I'm also not sure that the copyist's name is important (if it is a copy).

judy and i need help like this.
  19. Adrianzetan

The size is 64x35cm

20. Jivvy

Draft saved Draft deleted