Artist Joseph Baumgartner ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Drew, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Any references or listings of American painter Joseph Baumgartner who worked in the 1960's.

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I can find nothing beyond this on askArt. 'Scene in Milan.'

Debora

129.jpg

johnnycb09 likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

4. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Looks very similar in Technic to this recent find.... just trying to fill in some details on this artist. s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

askart.com has that Joseph Baumgartner listed as 19th century.

6. sabre123

Doesn't really look like a 1967 piece to me. Curious as to what others think.

7. sabre123

But the sig (taken from an eBay listing) doesn't look like 1867, that's for sure:

[​IMG]

Figtree3, anundverkaufen and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I could date it to 1967, or could go back a decade or two earlier. Perhaps signed later?

EDITED TO SAY : I JUST SAW SABRE'S POST AND THINK IT TO BE AN ORIGINAL 1967 DATE on painting AND think it to be correct.

sabre123 likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Sniped by Sabre, thanks for showing this. Can't imagine that it's not the original signature. When I saw only the back, I know I have signed paintings many years after the fact, decades in fact, but this looks like 1967 paint texture study too..
    JMHO

sabre123 likes this.
  10. sabre123

Good point, antidiem. You can see that texture much better in the sig close-up.

antidiem likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

The ship painting is on a typical 20th c. canvas board - being signed and dated '67 both front and back leads me to think it's certainly a 1967 piece. Not sure why askart.com would list Joseph Baumgartner as 19th century - the painting they show of his (Scene in Milan) looks very mid 20th century to me. ` 129.jpg

antidiem and PortableTreasures like this.
  12. sabre123

antidiem and PortableTreasures like this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

antidiem, Fid and sabre123 like this.
  14. sabre123

:hilarious:

blooey likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The title, date, and signature on this look identical to the ones on the front of the image in @Drew 's original post. You can see the sig in the lower left corner of the original post if you enlarge the image. Was the eBay listing an older one, perhaps a listing through which Drew purchased it? Otherwise, I wonder how they both even have the same colors of paint under the signature. Is one of them a reproduction?

That doesn't help to answer the question of who Joseph M. Baumgartner was, of course.

16. sabre123

I don't know the answer that, Fig.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Figtree3

Thanks, I didn't think that you would... was just throwing some questions out there. Was the eBay listing where you found the signature a current one, or a closed one? I ask because I was wondering whether it could have been for the same painting that Drew posted

18. sabre123

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Figtree3

It was sold the same day this thread was started... and obviously the same one... So it doesn't really resolve anything. Oh, well, on to another thread! :)

sabre123 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted