Featured Arts and crafts pottery.... Did I miss out?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by verybrad, Mar 3, 2024.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This piece was at auction yesterday and was unidentified. I was hoping it would go for a reasonable amount but ended up selling for $300.00 + buyer's premium. I did not bid. I have a hunch about what it is. What do you think? Did I miss out? (Size is 5" tall x 5" dia.)
    acpot.jpg

acpot2.jpg

Here is the auction listing with larger pictures:

Arts and Crafts Blue/Green Glaze Pottery Vase - Matthew Bullock Auctioneers

2. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

at 300 plus buyers and that small size I'm guessing it's better than Teco which was my guess when I saw it - 300 would be full market value without signature...

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

No idea! Following...

4. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I would have said Teco as well but with zero signature or mark, it's out of my ballpark. By a long stretch!

Linda

*crs* likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Squared. Unless someone recognized it or just had to have it, $300 was all its money and then some.

*crs* likes this.
  6. verybrad

Don't think it is Teco. Their glazes are smoother and the color is wrong. At first I thought it might be Grueby but I think the glaze too blue. Wonder if the high bids were from those who thought it could be Grueby. That would still be reasonably cheap. Otherwise, I agree it is at near full retail if it is what I think it is. Any other thoughts?

7. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Merrimac, Hampshire and Pewabic all have similar glazes to this but the bottom is thrown me off.

verybrad likes this.
  8. Virginia

Virginia New Member

verybrad likes this.
  9. verybrad

Bingo!..... I think this is Hampshire, though the glazed bottom is atypical. The auction piece was no bargain.

10. Rclinftl

??? isn’t Hampshire white clay ?

11. verybrad

It is, but I see no clay showing on this vase. Thinking the white bottom is totally obscured. I could be wrong but I don't know what else it could be.

12. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Marblehead maybe? - I could very well be imagining it but I feel like I see some blue line work (enhanced below) about 11:00 with respect to the crack.

upload_2024-3-4_17-45-6.png

upload_2024-3-4_17-43-34.png

Rclinftl and mirana like this.
  13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

....I see it now, I just can't understand how you saw that!!

14. Rclinftl

that would be a very atypical glaze and finish for Marblehead - most of their pottery is either smooth finishes or carved/incised - but apparently not unheard of - after about 15 minutes and 75 pages of scrolling I found this Marblehead inkwell in a grainy finish…

IMG_3140.jpeg IMG_3140.jpeg

komokwa, kentworld and mirana like this.
  15. verybrad

I don't see Marblehead with this but that glaze above does make you think. I tried to work on the bottom picture a bit more and didn't really come up with much (picture will enlarge further if you click it). I do see what may be something at 11:00.... Maybe the number 2? Also maybe a hand inscribed number just above the crack..... 83? Also maybe something at 7:00? Originally thought I saw an H there but the enhancement doesn't really bring it out. Good mystery!

acpot3b.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  16. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

I just used a basic photo editor. One that would let you use what I would call a pass-band filter could isolate the blue line work from the rest.

mirana likes this.
  17. verybrad

I guess I am still not seeing it. I am a bit color blind so that may explain. Is it really Marblehead?

Draft saved Draft deleted