Featured Arts & Crafts Pottery Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

PotteryBellflowerVase.jpg PotteryBellflowerVase3.jpg PotteryBellflowerVase4.jpg Hi! I hope everyone here is having a lovely Thanksgiving weekend!

Does anyone recognize this pottery vase? The glaze reminds me of Fulper. But, even doing a general search through images, I could not come up with a match.

It's 6" tall.

Thanks so much!

Juli

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2021
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think it might be modern Asian,but Im often wrong.

KikoBlueEyes, *crs* and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Yes, I'm sure it's a possibility. I hope not. Maybe someone will recognize it.

Thanks for the response!

Juli

KikoBlueEyes and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't recognize it but not Fulper. The bottom is wrong. I also do not think Asian/recent. Unfortunately, I can't give you any solid leads on it.

5. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Hi, Brad. Thanks for trying!

Any ideas out there?

6. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Giving this one a boost...

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Was hoping someone else would have an idea about this. Only other thing I can think of is possibly by one of the California companies.

8. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Me too. I didn't think it could be California. I do have a Gladding McBean book. I'll go through it tomorrow and see if I can find anything similar.

Thanks for the suggestion!

9. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Well, I've been through several of my books and I can't find anything similar to this vase. The glaze appears to be similar to Catalina's "Seafoam" glaze. But, I can't find the shape or raised decoration on anything similar.

Can any of you give me some keywords telling me what you think those panels are on four sides of the top of the vase look like to you? Type of flower? Drop flower? Bellflower?

Thanks, everyone!

10. Renee Yancy

Renee Yancy Active Member

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like a bellflower to my eye.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  12. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thanks! I did try searching with "bellflower" in images and found nothing. I'll try "lotus" and see if anything comes up.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not a lotus. Bellflower is the best I've got too. A lotus is horizontal. No idea where it came from.

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Bellflower yes, but those blooms are also in the shape of Lily of the Valley. They just stacked them rather than the way they really grow which is expected of A&C designs.

This is a lovely vase!

15. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Lily of the Valley! That's the flower I was trying to think of and couldn't quite remember. Thanks!

16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's not lily of the valley, convollaria. Those are individual bells held on drooping stems. If anything, it's a shrimp plant, beloperone or similar.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. Marie Forjan

I bow to a greater authority :)

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

...and someone who acually still gardens.

19. Marie Forjan

I still garden, but I have never seen shrimp plant :)

20. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thanks for the responses. I still can't find a similar vase given all these wonderful keywords. :arghh: The individual blossoms of the flowers still look more like lily of the valley to me. But, not quite right either. Given the artistic license of the potter and an aligned view of the drop position of the blossoms, it may make more sense? I'd never heard of a shrimp plant, that's for sure. Lots of pretty colors! It's fun learning about new things.

Thanks again for the help. I guess I'll just have to eventually list it as a mystery vase on eBay.
    upload_2021-12-11_9-3-48.png

Draft saved Draft deleted