ASHWORTH BROS HANLEY - LARGE IRONSTONE GOTHIC PATTERN JUG

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Guy, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Guy

Guy Member

gothic 1.jpg gothic 2.jpg gothic 2.jpg gothic 2.jpg I have managed to identify this piece as Ashworth Brothers Hanley, Large Ironstone Gothic pattern jug. The only other I can find is just white, where as mine is blue and white.
    Does anybody know if they were produced in these colours. Other than that I know nothing so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, Guy. I'm not one of the ceramics people, but I know they are going to ask you to put all your photos in your posts as full size, not thumbnails. From the bottom of your text box, select edit, then more options. You'll see the option there.

And I know our 'potties' will appreciate that you have already researched yourself & told us what you know so we don't have to start from scratch. Good job. :happy:

3. Guy

Guy Member

Thanks for your help, I will do that now.

4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

The blue background is consistent with wares of the period. Very pretty!

Christmasjoy, judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Which period?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Mid 1800s.

7. Guy

Guy Member

Thanks, that's great to know. Anybody any more information? Thanks

8. Bronwen

What I don't know: why when I search very specifically for what is written on the bottom, I can't find anything remotely like this. A couple of pieces by Dudson Hanley that have this Wedgwood look. But ABH gets me only glazed porcelain with fussy decoration. When a filter for 'ironstone gothic' is added, pix of your piece come up, along with a lot of fussy glazed table ware.

9. Bronwen

I can see GOTHIC very clearly; HANLEY well enough to agree that's what it says. Before that does look pretty much like BROS. But is ASHFORD crammed into the remaining space around 8-9 o'clock?

upload_2018-10-13_10-14-24.png

10. Bronwen

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

This is sprigged ware. That will get far more on searches. Yes, they were produced in assorted colours, partly to emulate Wedgwood. I think this is something like Church Window in the Gothic range, but I may be wrong on that. It's Parian/bisque with sprigs, anyhow.

12. Guy

Guy Member

I am on a steep learning curve here. So it was made by Ashworth Brothers in the mid 1800's, the pattern is called Gothic, It is Parian ware, which is a type of biscuit porcelain. Can I ask what the "sprigs" refers to? Am I correct so far?

This has some damage, but any ideas where I could go for vague ideas on value? Thanks so much for anybody's help so far, I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The sprigs are the relief decoration - in your case, the white bits. I think yours may be possibly moulded in its entirety, rather than the sprigs laid on separately, which happens on higher quality pieces.(I'm not putting yours down!)

Not high value here, but the US may be different.

Guy likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Well, if you want to join Worthpoint, you could go to the link I gave you for the all white one as a starting point. Where & how (i.e., auction, flat price, negotiable price) would you be selling it? You can now characterize it accurately enough that anyone browsing eBay/similar & was interested in this sort of thing could easily find it. (Provided you get all those juicy key words into the title.)

Others may have a different philosophy, but I think, first you find out how to describe the item as thoroughly & correctly as possible, you take some flattering but honest photos, put it up as an auction with an opening bid that really is the least you would take. It can be a major mistake to set a flat price when you really don't know the true value & there is no way to find out.

Guy and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted