Featured Asian Bowl? Genuine or copy?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Laurence0610, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Laurence0610

Laurence0610 Member

I have a single bowl as pictured below, I know nothing about it and wondered if it's something that could be old and have value or is just a copy of something else etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Laurence 20200420_152103.jpg 20200420_152107.jpg 20200420_152114.jpg 20200420_152120.jpg 20200420_152125.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not 100% sure that this is your mark, a couple characters seems a bit different (but I can't read them anyway). There are those on the board who will know more.

https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/bild/496_fullsize.jpg

496. Mark: Da Ming Jiajing Nian Zhu - "Great Ming Jiajing (1522-1566) Period Make". Modern.

[​IMG] upload_2020-4-20_11-3-58.png

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy, Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Could also be a Japanese made bowl with a mark that copies a Chinese one from the Ming period. They did that a fair amount in the modern era. The decor itself is unlike the way pieces of the period were decorated (with just the center done in what amounts to a snippet of a larger scene.)

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'd take a shot at this, looks interesting. Could be a copy of course, but not blatantly so ...Not a Japanese copy from the construction IMO.

judy and Laurence0610 like this.
  6. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

i think the leaves image style was really use in ming period,but in a whole picture the plate more looks like closer to qing period era,i have one question can you check the bottom ring of the rim,is it glazed or unglazed?because i can't see it clearly since it was heavily damaged,if it's unglazed then there's a chance of it that the mark is right.but for me i believe this more looks like qing's around 18-19th century,good luck!

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the double rings are two sloppy to be 18th or 19th century. The old pieces with apocryphal marks would also have better rings and calligraphy.

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

From what I see, it looks like quite a thin foot rim that is mostly glazed — maybe stuck to the kiln floor when fired?

9. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

well it could be like that,usually ming's period have more thick rim and left unglazed,but the ceramic from this transition period sometimes have 2 characteristic from different period,imo

kentworld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted