Featured Asian Bowl - What Is The Age of This Piece?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by TraceyB, Oct 18, 2020.

1. TraceyB

TraceyB Well-Known Member

Hello
    I am hoping someone may have some knowledge of this piece please. My mother gave it to me approximately 15 years ago before she passed. Mum grew up in India and both her parents were English. She lived for a period in Singapore. Grandad travelled the world on business and would always bring back bits and pieces for Grandma. I am keen to know the country of origin, age and if it was a mass produced piece.
    The bowl measures 6 inches across and 2.5 inches high.
    Many thanks.
    Tracey

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-10-18_2-17-31.jpeg

Size please...& could you edit the title to say Asian Bowl.....

3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

It’s a Japanese Satsuma bowl Meiji period. Check out the Japanese Satsuma signatures on Gotheborg for the maker although I think this just reads Satsuma made.
    It’s quite a nice quality piece

Try sold eBay items searching Satsuma bowl and you should find similar.

4. TraceyB

Thanks John.
    I've checked out Gotheborg and found the following - 1259. Mark, stamped Satsuma under the Shimazu family crest, c. 1947. These were mass produced during this time and sold to western military personnel on the bases and to visitors and tourists.
    It's a piece I love regardess!

5. John Brassey

Although the mark is correct in the reading, this is not one of those pieces. The one on Mark 1259 is printed, yours is hand painted. Your decoration is much better.

I feel that yours is earlier say c1880

I will try and find similar for you

blooey, komokwa, i need help and 3 others like this.
  6. TraceyB

Thanks John. I did also look on ebay and prices ranged from a few dollars to a few thousand!! When you're not quite sure what to look for it can be challenging but I am enjoying the research.
    Tracey

komokwa, i need help and judy like this.
  7. John Brassey

I once had a large collection of Satsuma but sold most of it through Bonhams when we retired and downsized. I've still got a few pieces. One is selling at Bonhams on 5 November https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26199/lot/239/

I certainly don't think that yours is a mass produced piece. I would put a value of around £150 on it if in good condition. It could go for more. Also I feel that it is certainly Meiji period. (1865-1912).

blooey, komokwa, i need help and 2 others like this.
  8. TraceyB

Thanks John. That's really interesting. My sister was also left a piece which has similar paintings. Hers is a vase standing approx 5 or 6 inches high. I love my bowl and have it on display.
    Thank you again.

9. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

The circle with a cross is the Shimazu mon or the family crest of the clan that ruled Satsuma Han. according Gotheborg its not certain that any one of the Shimazu clan ever owned or, ordered one Satsuma export style ware piece to be made. If that however had been the case, the crest would in that case been blue, since that was also the Shimazu clan colors.
    also regardless of age or authenticity- in the age of mass production and export, the Shimazu crest simply became a marketing convention.

looking at the pictures your bowl looks first half of the 20th century. its very nice, but the decoration misses the fine details and the quality to be a Meiji period pice Imo.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and judy like this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm with @John Brassey, stylistically and quality-wise, pieces like this are Meiji productions.

judy and John Brassey like this.
  11. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

20201018_132302.jpg the details are not clear and not neetly done . i agree to disagree.

judy likes this.
  12. John Brassey

It's not perfect and certainly nowhere near the quality of my vase that I linked to but we will have to differ - it is subjective. Meiji period does not necessary mean top quality and we are not that far apart on dates. Still think it would sell for over £100. This one is Meiji according to Gotheborg and the detail is no better http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/bild/1506_fullsize.jpg

judy likes this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This style was not produced post WW1

judy likes this.
  14. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

Which styl was not produced for ww1?

judy likes this.
  15. TraceyB

Will it help if I take some sharp in focus close up.pics?

judy likes this.
  16. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I said after WW1 and I'm talking about satsuma wares that match this bowl in decorative motifs, quality and style. Fashion changes and this is a Meiji era style.

John Brassey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted