asian bronze vessel on a stand

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by April07, Mar 31, 2018.

1. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

Hi, I came across this item on an antiques website. The seller says it's Chinese bronze vase, but I have a doubt if this can be a Japanese meiji period. Also, I wonder why this vessel has a hole in the bottom. I amnew to antiques and just learning, so any help would be highly appreciated! 5760820209.jpg 5769343528.jpg 5786390166.jpg

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I think it was made into a lamp. It looks like there may be a small hole on the side near the bottom that may have housed a switch.

3. buyingtime777

It also looks knocked out of round at the bottom but it could just be my eyes.

4. April07

Thanks, yes it lookd like it doesn't have bottom at all. Which period of time do you think it could be?

5. buyingtime777

I am not knowledgeable in oriental pieces regretfully. I believe it originally had a bottom that was removed to make a lamp and that will greatly impact it's value though.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum April07.
    You are right, it is Japanese. Late Meiji is very likely. These are often signed on the base, but since there is no base......
    Does it look like it was removed? Could you show us a picture? Also of the hole for the wire?
    Either turned into a lamp stand, or made as one.
    I love it, but as buying said, alterations greatly affect the value. Especially if the signature was removed.

7. April07

Thanks!

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.