Featured Asian cabinet? Please help me identify

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Roc Thos, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Roc Thos

Roc Thos New Member

BA9205E8-7C1C-4A8F-BC1A-8D60A3507A7F.jpeg I bought this cabinet in India and I absolutely love it. I’m trying to identify where it’s from and perhaps even its age because I would love to get similar pieces. Scouring the Internet and trying to identify where it’s from has been tricky and fruitless. I’m thinking perhaps Tibetan? Anyway any help you can get would be really appreciated.

dude, Ghopper1924, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm not an oriental furniture person, but I know more details of the joints of drawers, the back, size, details we cannot see, are helpful.

dude, Ghopper1924, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

help us , to help you..!

Ghopper1924, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Roc Thos. Very nice cabinet.
    You are thinking right, Tibetan or related Himalayan.
    It has a stylized Vishvavajra at the top, and I can discern a dragon and possibly a lion. Also dragons on the plinth.

The Vishvavajra or double vajra (Tibetan: Dorje) is the symbol of Vajrayana Buddhism, the school practiced in the Himalayas, but also in some other parts of Asia.
    The Vishvavajra is one of the most powerful symbols in Vajrayana Buddhism, it stands for the four winds and the powers that created the physical unverse. It also ensures harmony between all sides and between the worldly and the spiritual.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Figtree3, dude, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  5. Roc Thos

Roc Thos New Member

6. Roc Thos

Roc Thos New Member

Here are some more pictures. The piece is 57 inches wide, 18 1/2 inches deep 45 inches tall. Don’t see any nails or any kind of hardware that’s connecting it together so I’m not sure whether that means anything

antidiem, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Roc!

Welcome to Antiquers............

Lovely piece!

Ghopper1924, lloyd249 and Roc Thos like this.
  8. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Roc, when I was cataloging some expensive Chinese Huanghuali furniture, I was told by one of the dealers that you never want to see a screw or nail. Good furniture will be joined together the old fashion way. Not sure if that relates to your piece or not but you make a good point.

Figtree3, komokwa, antidiem and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted