Asian Cast Iron Figurine with Mark - anyone recognize or can date?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gimbler-dave, Sep 21, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

I'm researching this figurine. It appears to be cast iron (a magnet is strongly attracted to it) with a painted finish. It weighs 4 pounds 6 ounces, and measures 10 inches high. There is a mark on the back, enclosed in a rectangle, but quite a simple design (I've included 2 views of it, pics 3 & 4). Does anyone recognize it, or have any ideas of the age or country origin? Thank you! ... Dave
    db_cast_1.JPG
    db_cast_2.JPG
    db_cast_3.JPG
    db_cast_4.JPG
    db_cast_5.JPG

JayBee and kyratango like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think it's beautiful. Probably Japanese or Korean.

kyratango likes this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think this is worth somebody commenting on, so I'll go further and suggest Japanese and a decade or so either side of 1900. But that's just a vague sort of impression.

Is that gold on the bottom? I'm guessing again this this originally had a lot more gilding.

kyratango likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

gimbler-dave and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bloody ebay !

kyratango likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Bloody ebay sellers who don't know what to do with apostrophes and can't tell 'where' from 'were'. Plus writing ? for question because they can't be arsed to write a few letters. GRRRR.

kyratango likes this.
  7. komokwa

I was watching Sherlock yesterday.
    Mycroft's cell phone rings , and he says "Pardon Me" .....& then takes the call as he moves away from where he was standing, out of range of the folks he was having a conversation with.

That kind of civility has gone out the window with the use of a cell phone , & with texting.....so has the ability to bother spelling words !

I now curse at drivers using their phones....whether they can hear me or not !!!

kyratango likes this.
  8. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

Thank you for the great comparable! ... Dave

komokwa likes this.
  9. andree Gesswein

andree Gesswein New Member

Hello Dave
    Just wondering if you were able to identify the little cast iron/ bronze boy in kimono statue after all those opinions
    I have come across a similar one with identical stamp but I followed the link to eBay ( has been deleted)
    Any information appreciated
    Mine has most of in guilding intact
    Regards Andree

Attached Files:

JayBee and kyratango like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Andree! :)
    You can hit Edit, More Options, Check the box for Full size, Save Changes. ;)

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. komokwa

Dave....hasn't been around since last October....so maybe starting a new thread with your Full Image photo's...is a good idea !
    You could also link it to this thread, & maybe @moreotherstuff remembers what was on the dead ebay link...;);):woot:

12. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

Our daughter and hubby decided to go to a latin dancing school. They danced with different partners. Her hubby found some of his partners answering and talking on their phone whilst dancing with him.

kyratango likes this.
  13. komokwa

I would have informed my wife we were leaving....and then stepped on everyone's toes who were using their phones !!!

or the other way around....:hilarious:

those are rude women !!

popsycat and kyratango like this.
  14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Sorry, I don't remember the link. I hardly remember this item.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted