Featured Asian Chinese Art

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Reeves, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

Hi I was wondering if I could get some help on this painting. well actually its a wood block print. I picked this up earlier today and kinda stumped on it. At first glance I thought it was Japanese, but the more i look at it. I really think its Chinese. Hopefully someone can translate the script for me. One of the reasons I bought it, was because of the framing. Who ever owned it prior to me, placed it in a museum frame and glass. I've never had anything framed to that extent, but sounds expensive to me. The photos really doesn't do it justice. Its behind framed glass and the pictures seem kinda distorted. 20200624_155440.jpg 20200624_155542.jpg 20200624_155509.jpg

2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I don't think it's Chinese; clothing etc wrong; script too stylized.

Japanese. Could be Benten

3. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

One of the reasons I think it chinese, I did a Google and pinterest image search. On pinterest it pulled up women from the Tang dynasty. I think the writing is a old form of Chinese that's not used anymore.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Size/dimensions?

I'm not an expert but to me it looks to have some age on it. I like it.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

Well? Do we get to see one of the reasons? ;)

very nice, what are the dimensions?

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

So it does indeed seem to be a lady from the Tang Dynasty, however ...I still think the depiction is by a Japanese hand.

8. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Japanese writing, not Chinese (although it includes kanji/Chinese characters.)
    And from the pics does not look like a woodblock print, but hand painted, and that gold could be gold leaf or gold pigment, but can't be sure from the pics.

9. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

Sorry everyone for the late response. Got busy with the kiddos last night. The Picture is approximately 14" Long x 10" Wide. Its kinda hard to tell since its behind matting. Im so tempted to take off the backing, to see whats on the other side. But not sure if thats a good idea.

mmarco102 likes this.
  10. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

11. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

JayBee, I think you might be right about it being gold leaf. I was thinking the same thing. The reason why I was thinking it was woodblock, is because you can see the indention around the edges, to where it was pressed. its hard to tell in the photos but at the edge of the matting you can see the indention

12. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

13. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Member

It is Chinese. The characters are Manchurians but this piece is modern, not antique.

14. Jimmy Lee

Jimmy Lee Member

It certainly is not Japanese.......the lady is of Tang dynasty style

15. Reeves

Reeves Active Member

I agree with you that the characters are Chinese, but I do believe it is antique. I finally took it out the frame and had a close up examination of it. It's a antique drawing on paper of the original. I think its 19th century.

Draft saved Draft deleted