Asian Cloissone Vase

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Barn Owl, May 30, 2018.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Picked this up today for a steal. I figured even with the amount of damage it had, it might be worth more than what I paid. As you can see, it's heavily dented and the bottom is missing. But the enamelwork is nice. Any idea of the age?
    20180530_141003.jpg 20180530_141025.jpg 20180530_141040.jpg 20180530_141056.jpg 20180530_141116.jpg 20180530_141125.jpg 20180530_141138.jpg 20180530_141149.jpg

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is beautiful but with all that damage I would turn it into a wonderful lamp.
    greg

3. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Nice find, what are the dimensions or at least how tall is it? :D

Barn Owl likes this.
  4. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking about doing (or at least selling it as a potential lamp), since the bottom is already open :)

Thanks! It's 11.25 inches tall and about 5.5 inches wide at widest point.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, it is Japanese. Pity about the damage, but ok if you're keeping it.

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

In my opinion it is Chinese, not Japanese, the ornaments point in that direction...

Barn Owl and Asian Fever like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Could be. The base is usually another way to tell the origin, but in this case, no base.

Barn Owl, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  8. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Absolutely!! With that said, I am thinking you could make a table top bird bath out of it. And I don't mean to set it on top of a table, just a tree stump, wooden box or something like that. I'm terrible with electronics, so that's what I would do with it and it would be so easy as well. ;) A lamp or bird bath would pontificate into a quicker sale. :D

Barn Owl likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Do you mean as a base for a bird bath? The vase itself would be too narrow and deep as a bird bath, birds could drown. Or is this my early morning mind not in understanding mode yet?

Barn Owl likes this.
  10. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

Hi Any Jewelry good to see you and I hope you're doing great! ;) Yes, I meant as a base, just buy a nice bowl and place it on top! It would be ready for a quick sale! :D

Any Jewelry and Barn Owl like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Hi, fathand.:)
    Yes, I can picture that. But it won't be easy to find a bowl that has the same feel. I don't mean the exact same decoration, that would be impossible, but maybe in one of the colours that is used in the vase. Lamp base would be easier, I think.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  12. thefathand

thefathand Active Member

True and I can picture myself slapping something together and my wife saying, "I don't think that goes with our decor." lol Story of my life! :D

Any Jewelry likes this.