Featured Asian Leather Covered Box Signed Need Help Please - WTH???

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wildrose, Aug 20, 2019.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Okay, well I have this box, cedar lined, tooled leather well done on the lid but WTH is that guy carrying on his back?????!!! It is signed in two places so if anyone can make it out I would appreciate knowing what is says and what that thing is on his back?! My dad thought it was his face but I said he's walking the other way so it's not his face. Its disturbing. LOL The box measures 7" by 3 1/2". box.jpg box1.jpg box2.jpg box3.jpg box4.jpg box5.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It reminds me of Japanese Pebble leather embossed clutch purse. :)
    I don’t see any boxes so far. Likely someone will come up with other ideas.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The face looks like a Tengu of some type.

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and judy like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

many possibilities. Dwarf Nose or Pinocchio. or simply an allusion to the meeting of a Chinese mother and child with a "long nose" (as we Europeans with our prominent "pistons" are called).

KikoBlueEyes, Bronwen and judy like this.
  5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

It is after a woodblock by Hiroshige. Look at the Number 13 in the link. The long nosed face is indeed a Tengu mask, I am not sure what the meaning is. The wanderers could be pilgrims and maybe it helps to scare off evil spirits? But that is just a speculation. https://www.hiroshige.org.uk/Tokaido_Series/Tokaido_Great.htm

6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Jivvy, Bakersgma, i need help and 3 others like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

As to the inscriptions, one is the signature of Hiroshige and in the other appears the number 13, so it seems to tefer to the 13th station of the Tokaido.

Jivvy, Bakersgma, i need help and 3 others like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Just in case folks don't want to search, the relevant bit:

The third and fourth slips show one particular use of the long-nosed tengu mask. Here oversized masks are mounted on frames and worn as backpacks. The white clothing on the people carrying these curious items marks them as pilgrims; in fact, pilgrims to the Konpira Shrine on Shikoku customarily carried such backpacks on their way to the shrine. The sight of white-clad pilgrims walking away while a tengu glares back at the viewer was immortalized in landscape printmaker Utagawa Hiroshige 歌川広重’s depiction of Numazu in his Fifty-Three Stages of the Tōkaidō series in the 1830s.

I know only a very little about Japanese imagery - nothing about tengu - but the hats & staffs made me think they were pilgrims tight off.

i need help, patd8643 and Fid like this.
  9. wildrose

Wow so much info! Thank you!

Bronwen and Mat like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Fid, Bakersgma, wildrose and 2 others like this.
  11. wildrose

You guys are the best.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted