asian pendant unknown stone

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Norm, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Norm

Norm Member

Found this today thrifting and really like the charm. I just dont know if its jade. The whole piece is translucent and has orange-ish colors through out. Its very dull color until the light hits it. But researching jade i see it comes in many colors and its typical of most asian jewelry. The necklace is on a leather string and the clasp has no indication of any hallmark or stamp. There fore i just took pictures of the charm. If anyone has any insight i would love the feed back.

Attached Files:

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

2 dragons and a raven?

3. Norm

Norm Member

Think its just two dragons.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Often called jade.
    However, keep in mind there are many types of stones called jade - that are not really true jade. And I'm sorry, I don't know the names of the actual stones.

These are available at gem and mineral shows imported from China. For minimal cost $1-3. People buy them to make pendants or use in other craft projects.
    If you look someone just used a piece of wire (and not very nicely) to hang from.
    There is a lack of detail that would differentiate it with better quality.
    (Next time you take pictures it would be more helpful if there were no pattern in the background competing with your item)
    [​IMG]

5. Norm

Norm Member

Noted. Thanks for the advice and info.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a type of serpentine, Chinese. The carving is extremely basic. Jade carvings are of a much better quality, because it is a more expensive stone.
    Jade isn't typical of most Asian jewellery though. Only of some.

The carving represents the dragon and the phoenix, symbols for the emperor and empress, masculine and feminine, yang and yin, and any other dualist principle you can think of.;)
    The person who put the metal wire on the carving had no idea what it represents.

Phoenix on the left, dragon on the right, pearl of wisdom in the middle between their heads:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Norm, clutteredcloset49 and kyratango like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted