Asian Porcelain Bowl With Frogs On Rim

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Oct 9, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I am finding different variations and sizes of bowls/planters with frogs and lily pads, Japanese, Chinese, US. This one is about 10 1/2" across but so far can't find similar base.
    Any suggestions on age and origin?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

My friend from Bolivia says frogs are good luck. When she visits there she always brings my Mom frog items and she has a bowl similiar to yours.

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

It's derived from an earthquake detector

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

I have a smaller one of these...I keep soaps in it for the bathroom. They are very cute, but new.

5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

6. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I have one of the 10" McCoy frogs. :)

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The links are nice, plus would love to find a McCoy frog.

Agree with Cartoon girl, the one shown in the OP is new. They have sort of a "studio look" in a way, and the first time I saw one (not this exact shape, but same style) I thought I had something pretty unusual --even consigned it at a fairly upscale store where the owner is picky, but it never sold, and by the time I got it back I had seen at least 20 others (all different versions) at thrift stores. They must be coming out of China. They are cute, but definitely new.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the others that these are new and Chinese. They were in the decor stores from about the 90s. There are also pieces from Viet Nam with frogs and lizards on them that have a bit more sophisticated look. Both types get represented as old on ebay and elsewhere and sometimes bring money way out of proportion to their true value.

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Agree with Greg and others, but frog collectors like them - me, not so fond of frogs anymore, have been fighting the invasive Cuban tree frogs since our triple hurricanes ten years ago.

Largest Weller Coppertone frog tray/bowl at 15.5", found, with probably 50 years of filth, for $5.00 in shed at a neighbor's 'estate' sale (why I recommend a professional), the flower-frog was a quarter when found in the garage. Wasn't sold at the top of the market, but still brought in good money...

wellerfrog01-a.jpg

~Cheryl

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    spirit-of-shiloh and Messilane like this.
  10. 42Skeezix

Awesome piece(s) there Cheryl.

My favorite Weller is Coppertone.....and Sicard.

I've had a few pieces of coppertone over the years, including a coupla frogs. Just a few weeks ago I bumped into a friend of mine at the market. He was carting a LARGE coppertone frog. The sprinkler size, without the holes. He had just scored it for 300. An awesome buy even today.

Messi...The guy layin' on his side? That's a good'un. The Brush McCoy turtle figurines are a tough find too.

11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Don, I wish! But mine is just one of the common, garden variety, bull frogs. :D

12. verybrad

I think that Coppertone piece is my favorite from the line. Wasn't there a thread not all that long ago on ebay about a Coppertone frog (or was it a 3 frog vase?) being dug up from a garden? I have found some good pottery in garden pot lots at sales over the years. My best was probably Roseville Earlam vase that everyone overlooked. The Roseville hanging pots show up in these places as well. Have found several Peters and Reed Moss Aztec pieces in such manner. Come to think of it, some of my best finds have come from garages and basements where things often get overlooked.

13. verybrad

Above, I mentioned the frog vases I thought were coming from Vietnam. I was mistaken. They, actually, are from Indonesia. I used to sell pottery from both countries and had them confused. Here is an example of one for reference.
    [​IMG]

They are all over ebay and not being misrepresented as much as in the past. Though, there is still one seller asking $199.00 for one attributed as an Arts and Crafts era piece. I have also seen these represented as early 20th century Arequipa. They slightly resemble the ones from Arequipa but are really very different. I have seen some sell for hundreds in the past.

14. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Same here on the hidden treasures, Brad - that sale had some nice stuff tucked away, house in my Mom's neighborhood, gentleman and his wife had lived there since first built in the mid '50s, she'd passed maybe 15-20 years prior, not sure he'd touched much after she died. Kids came down when he died, just put up signs, opened up the house and priced whatever you brought to them - don't think I spent much over 20 bucks. Besides the Weller, among other things, found a Peters & Reed Moss Aztec stump vase (just found another at a thrift, not bringing what they used to), couple of cutesy Hull planters, couple of dozen Akro Agate kid's dishes, boxful of Pyrex Flamingo Pink dishes, a nice old mid 19th century pottery pudding mould (also in the shed with the garden stuff), and a relatively worthless antique glass water carafe that struck me as quite lovely in its simplicity - it's the only piece I still have.

~Cheryl

15. Mjv80

Mjv80 New Member

I have a piece similar to that, but don't know where it's from or age. I'm curious same as you. 13 inches Across the top. Base is 7 inches.

Attached Files:

16. 42Skeezix

Brad, the dug up Coppertone vase was on the Antiques Roadshow. Older lady said she saw the frog sticking out of the ground when she was younger. She decided to dig it up and it was in near perfect condition when she did. I remember my jaw hitting the ground when she told her story.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365139106/

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

AR recently showed a compilation program that included this one!

18. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I picked up a Coppertone piece back in 2008 that had a fairly large chip on the edge. The price was just a couple of dollars & it still ended up selling for over $200.00.

I was absolutely shocked & kept checking to make sure I had all the pictures included in the listing.

I didn't think I still had the pictures, but they are still saved in my Auctiva account.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  19. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

These used to be pretty common around here but have dried up lately.
    Don

Attached Files:

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I walked into a home like that once.
    The woman was a frog collector and 20 foot by 8 foot wall...was solid frog sculptures . Hundreds.......
    Oh...& the wall was mostly mirrored .......YIKES !

Draft saved Draft deleted