Asian rice porcelain bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bluemoon, Sep 17, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I collect random cheap blue-and-white / purple / green bowls and plates to add to my carefree everyday mismatched dinnerware collection.
    I found this in a local charity shop for not much and while it's probably far from being an antique, I'd like to know what the bottom mark means and how old (if at all) the bowl is.

The bowl looks japanese and because it's small, maybe it's for miso soup. That's my personal assumption.

Screenshot_2016-09-17-22-49-39.png Screenshot_2016-09-17-22-49-50.png Screenshot_2016-09-17-22-49-59.png 2016-09-17 22.50.32.png

2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

3. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

cxgirl, Ladybranch and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Thanks kardinalisimo, that really is a great site!! Full of info, A keeper for sure.

cxgirl likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

On that site link Kardinal... gave, under the "Base Marks" section, yours appears to be the 8th pic down, Wan Yu.

"UB (underglaze blue) Wan Yu mark (handwritten) – 1920s-1970s, but not sure of exact dating."

The Wan Yu mark is also on the following page about 2/3rds of the way down with its own section "Wanyu."
    http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/20thcenturychina.shtml

--- Susan

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted