Asian(?) sterling tiger claw and.... (?)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Raccoon1977, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Raccoon1977

Raccoon1977 Well-Known Member

So, I got these pieces in a sterling jewelry lot, very interesting to me, but I have no knowledge of Asian jewelry. After I took the picture I could tell that the tiger claw actually had a dragon head on the top part. I don’t know the age of these, they look old and obviously tiger claw isn’t something that is really (hopefully) 8221BCEA-ED32-4C4D-B974-B6B404D45F58.jpeg 15085607-7557-4A23-95AA-AA220B4B2D49.jpeg B3D2C0EE-7809-4982-910D-8BE4A4688790.jpeg done anymore. The larger medallion has a weird creature on it with a trident in one hand and some sort of branch in the other. I thought it was a mermaid but it looks to have legs. The second picture - well I have no clue. Help? Thanks again everyone!

kyratango likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those are protective amulet pendants from northwestern India. There is a name for the all silver ones, which I can't think of at the moment.:banghead:

It is the Goddess Durga.;)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  3. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

4. ritzyvintage

I don't see an 8 armed Durga, at all?

It's more likely to be Vishnu's consort: Lakshmi, or it may not be any Hindu goddess at all. Durga isn't portrayed as is upon the above pendant, that's for sure.

5. Any Jewelry

I just found one of mine, with a note that said 'silver pathri from Gujarat', and other things which aren't relevant for your pathris.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Who said 8 armed? Durga can appear in many forms, just like other Hindu deities.

BoudiccaJones and DragonflyWink like this.
  7. ritzyvintage

Show me an image of Durga like the pendant? And your source?

cxgirl likes this.
  8. Raccoon1977

Kali popped up with Durga, and all the images I saw had the trident and branch. Could she be the one?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

PLEASE...show me........;):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carrots r better'n sticks !

10. ritzyvintage

[​IMG]

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I first posted Kali, but a bit of research into pathris led to Durga, so I changed it. But I am fine with Mother Goddess pathris being identified as Kali, when she is armed. The trishula (trident) is used by the Goddess in both her Kali and Durga manifestations.

From a theological viewpoint either name applies, the variation depends on the specific tradition. (I studied theology, including Hinduism, way back when.)
    According to some traditions Kali and Durga are different states of the same Mother Gosddess. When Durga needs to be very protective, she becomes Kali.
    So in a nutshell, both names apply imo.

I never said Hinduism was easy.;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  12. Any Jewelry

About the arms, more than two arms are a symbol of power. More arms, more power.
    Because Hinduism is very diverse, and Hindu iconography also diverse and very complicated, not all Shivas, Durgas, Kalis etc are depicted with more than two arms. More arms can appear when needed to hold weapons for instance.

There are even Durgas with no arms, like this little beauty from my own collection, a Durga hilt from Bengkulu, Sumatra. She is intact, nothing missing, her power lies in her being.

upload_2021-2-21_15-20-40.jpeg

Henry Moore, eat your heart out.;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  13. Raccoon1977

Awesome info guys! Thanks!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted