Featured Asian style Tiger cane topper? Bone? Ivory?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueAnimals, Sep 9, 2020.

1. AntiqueAnimals

AntiqueAnimals Active Member

Hello helpful friends:
    I’ve been holding onto the (what I think is a) cane topper carved into a tiger. It’s old, I can’t say how old, I only know where it’s been for the past 100 years or so. I’ve tried to include the detailed degree lines that may or may not prove ivory or scrimshaw- I have no idea.

I broke my foot and am in a bad way with the pandemic. Time to consider selling some of my favorites. Most haven’t been sold off because I haven’t had time to research the value of them.

I think this piece is really beautiful and I hope you do too! The whole thing is 4” long, the head is 1” long x 1” wide.

Grateful for all the shared knowledge!!

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

judy, komokwa, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I concur about ivory.

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks ivory from here , too.
    a tough sell depending on location....

Heel, better soon !!! :playful::playful:

5. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I agree, it looks old, Indian, and ivory, Mysore? late 18th c? I'd do some research before selling.

6. 808 raver

7. komokwa

no, no it is not that..............by any stretch of the ........:inpain:

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree with Indian, ivory and possible 18th century.

9. AntiqueAnimals

AntiqueAnimals Active Member

My heart stopped when I clicked on that Sotheby’s link! I gots a little hot !

you guys are amazing, all these links were so very helpful!!

808 raver and Bronwen like this.
  10. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

just the curiosity what makes you guys think this is a real ivor and possible from 18th century?

Bronwen and 808 raver like this.
  11. 808 raver

stylistically the tiger is in the form of tipu's tiger, there are a number of other 18th c tigers formed in Mysore in the same way. When I posed the Sotheby's link I did say "Yours isn't this" but it still maybe worth finding out exactly what age it is and what it's worth maybe.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  12. 808 raver

Your right, it's almost impossible to tell the age or even if it's ivory from photos but stylistically it is of that period and the shade of ivory yellows with time. If you get a red hot pin and push it in it shouldn't go in at all. If that happens then you are dealing with bone or ivory, if there are no black flecks then it's ivory, the yellowing and splitting is impossible to fake, only time will produce these features.

Bronwen and Rec like this.
  13. 808 raver

Can you take a photo of the black object the head is stuck on? or isn't it a part of it?

Bronwen likes this.
  14. komokwa

Whoa, Hot Pin Test......have we not railed against doing that here on numerous occasions.......so numerous I've lost count ??

15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

To identify ivory, look for a subtle pattern of cross hatching, known as "schreger lines" (after the fellow who first described them in the scientific literature). These are created by spiraling tubules that feed the ivory as it grows, and are unique to elephant ivory. They will be most visible on a cross section of the tusk, which in this case would be on the bottom edge of the tiger's head. On a tangential surface (parallel to the outer surface of the original tusk) they show more like wood grain.

If you do a search for previous threads on ivory you will find several examples of ivory that illustrate the schreger lines.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  16. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that. there is synthetic and other replica material which looks genuine ivory. even with the yellowing or splitting w

can you post at least a 10X magnified picture? 1 focused on the splitting 1 focused on a smoot area and 1 bottom of the figurine

im trying to understand who real ivory looks like

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
  17. komokwa

The lovely @AntiqueAnimals has provided exellent photos so that those of us who KNOW ivory, and handled ivory, can make a determination on what we see.

For me, the schreger lines are there, and the knife cuts are there and the cracking from age and use as a cane topper are consistent with what I know to be an ivory handle.
    For others, the carved design leads them towards a style of carving that image, which may point towards a dating and origin.

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and Rec like this.
  18. komokwa

click on this ............!!!!!!!

upload_2020-9-10_13-26-19.jpeg

Bronwen likes this.
  19. komokwa

click on the above.......

Bronwen likes this.
  20. komokwa

looks like an iron rod, to secure it into the cane......or ...just 4 display??

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted