Asian Watercolor Help Please

Discussion in 'Art' started by Roger67, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

I don't know why I buy Asian Art but when it's cheap why not. Is it Chinese or Japanese? Can anybody read this signature or stamp? It's a watercolor for sure no dots looking though loupe and proably a famous bridge but I've had no luck finding that bridge. It is 9 x 6 1/2. It also has that embossed press beside the circle stamp. And while researching I noticed the signature on this has the square around it and most don't. But anyway maybe somebody can tell me what to do, keep or yard sale it. TIA everybody. :)
    IMG_2372.JPG IMG_2376.JPG IMG_2377.PNG IMG_2378.JPG IMG_2380.PNG

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

I can't read Japanese, but that is an image of the Kintai Arched Bridge in Japan - built in 1673 and now a Historic Landmark. It spans the Nishiki River. Maybe someone can read the inscription for you.

4. Roger67

Wow! You all have done it again! I have looked for that bridge for hours. So you think it's a Woodblock? Maybe someone can read what it says. Thanks!!

NewEngland, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Whatever it is the acid in the mat has already begun to discolor ( leach ) into the paper......making it less valuable to a collector...

NewEngland, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

The writing just says "Kintai Bridge" (錦帯橋). The round seal is of the artist, but so far i could not identify it. It seems to be a Shin Hanga woodblock print.

7. Roger67

Thanks everybody! Yeah komokwa it is right around the edge a couple of the pictures is my phone shining on the glass. So the round seal is the artist, that's something I can look for! Thanks

8. Roger67

What would the embossed mark mean? You really can't even make it out even with a loupe.

9. komokwa

the embossing could just be the paper maker........just sayin...

10. Roger67

Ok I decided to open up this frame and see what was inside, I really didn't want to because it was sealed really good in the back. Why in the world would they glue the top of the woodblock onto a mat?? It has something like glitter on it I don't if that is suppose to be like like a snow affect or what? I think it is a winter scene. Still haven't found out artist name yet. :rage:
    IMG_2389.JPG IMG_2388.JPG IMG_2390.JPG

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  11. komokwa

Why...I'll tell ya why....cuz it's poorly and cheaply framed by some shop who did not give this beautiful print the respect it deserved....
    Glued to the mat, the acid damage......even if this print was by a known artist...it's value is now only decorative......

Roger67 and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted