Featured Assistance needed for deciphering Asian Covered Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bytebit, Mar 7, 2022.

1. bytebit

bytebit Member

Hi there. Can you or someone you know who could help me with any info concerning this Asian item. It is from an antique dealer who recently passed.
    Whatever help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
    -- Be well, David
    asiancuplid4.jpg asiancuplid1.jpg asiancuplid2.jpg asiancuplid3.jpg asiancuplid5.jpg asiancuplid6.jpg asiancuplid7.jpg asiancuplid8.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Chinese. The wax attached to the one item is to allow the item to be removed from the country - not important or unique antique item.

3. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

In my opinion - your lidded bowl (known as a 'gaiwan') appears to be Tongzhi (1862 - 1874), but could be later - either Guangxu (1875 - 1908) or early part of the Republic Period (1912 - 1949) with an apocryphal Tongzhi iron red mark.
    It appears to bear the remnants of a seal issued by the Chinese authorities - giving official permission for the item to be exported or taken abroad.
    An attractive and nicely painted piece !
    Best Regards.

4. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

I agree with your estimate of its age. However, the mark is "Yongzheng" period mark.(1722-1735) and I don't think it is republic period, should be earlier.

5. 15Stiftgasse

15Stiftgasse Well-Known Member

Apologies ! At midnight last night my brain wasn't quite 100% ! Here is a 'proper' Tongzhi mark on a small ink box I recently acquired.

P1060271.JPG P1060284.JPG

6. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

You did great job. Your ink box is of the period. Nice collection. :joyful::joyful:

komokwa, 15Stiftgasse and Boland like this.
  7. bytebit

bytebit Member

Thanks for your assistance.

15Stiftgasse likes this.
  8. bytebit

bytebit Member

I appreciate your time with this matter.

9. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

This is lovely! It is painted both inside and out, which is rare. The Peranakan’s would call this a chupu, but this is a Chinese example. Look up “Wu Shuang Pu”. To me it looks like Tongzhi period. Wonderful acquisition... congratulations!

10. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

I agree chupu shape for the straits/Peranakan chinese. Extremely nice I never saw chupu painted in&out! Could be tongzhi m&p I have seen xianfeng bowls with same pattern. Ppl always say there's no xianfeng & tongzhi ware but only for imperial ware(few). many neighboring kiln that wasn't in jingdezhen. The scene seems to be the Dream of the Red Chamber. I'm trying to figure out when was this Exact shape made? Tongzhi/guangxu? Or just guangxu period?

Ken Yap likes this.
  11. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

So sorry, you are right: it is the Dream of the Red Chamber. I don't think it's Peranakan though. The mark is Yongzheng but I think it is later. It looks like Tongzhi period to me also.

Jose Deleon likes this.
  12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Love that interior painting! Both pieces are nice ones!

13. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

I bought this years ago and don’t know quite what to make of it either. Thai? Peranakan? I have asked quite a few experts, with no real conclusion

Attached Files:

Jose Deleon likes this.
  14. Jose Deleon

Definitely chinese the outside patterns I seen many on lobed footed dishes with tongzhi or guangxu marks. The inside is amazing man I haven't seen this before intill I ran into this page, inside reminds me chinese Jiaqing & Daoguang peapattern they call it. Lovely

Ken Yap likes this.
  15. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Thank you. Yes, it's Chinese, but unsure of the market it was intended for. The inside pattern is a lotus scroll

Jose Deleon likes this.
  16. Jose Deleon

I left links. It could be for that market seeing that inside painted like kitchen qing I'm not familiar with market hopefully I helped

https://www.rm-auctions.com/en/asia...for-the-straits-or-peranakan-market-19-20th-c

First bottom on the right I own like 3 they call it kitchen qing for straits or Peranakan.

Every time I see that pattern idk why I think pea pattern or Lotus vines

https://www.capsuleauctions.com/auction/lots/chinese_export_sweet_pea_pattern_basins__101166

Ken Yap likes this.
  17. Ken Yap

Ken Yap Active Member

Yes, this link shows the pea flower. The lotus flower has more spiky petals

Jose Deleon likes this.
  18. Jose Deleon

Thanks now I see the difference First thing my eyes always catch is the vines. Thanks again

Ken Yap likes this.
  19. Jose Deleon

Draft saved Draft deleted