Featured assorted plastic jewelry

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Barn Owl, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

This was a plastic kind of weekend. I'm still learning, so I didn't pay too much for these. None of them have seams. I think the brass necklace might be by Jakob Bengel (I found this:https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-30s-art-deco-bakelite-necklace-jakob
    ), but I'm not sure. Any thoughts on age or material? It's hard to tell in these pics, but the green necklace has a very slight yellowish marbling. The yellow necklace has pinprick holes on some beads, as if it was pin tested, but there are at least 5 with those holes, so that feels a bit excessive.

Forgot to add: The red beads have a sparkly sheen to them, like they're embedded with microscopic sparkles (too tiny to be real sparkles)

Thank you all for your help! :)
    20190428_150403-1.jpg 20190428_150559-1.jpg 20190428_150344-1.jpg 20190428_150151-1.jpg 20190428_150242-1.jpg 20190428_145824-1.jpg 20190428_150411-1.jpg 20190428_151722-1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I wish that every person that sticks a hot pin into things would burn their fingers!!!!!! It is one of my most hated tests on things.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    greg

KSW, Xristina, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Barn Owl

Haha! I'm honestly not sure if it's from the yellow beads being tested or if it's natural and caused by air bubbles or something. The beads have a lot of air bubbles in them too.

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The first bangle looks very 1960s Lucite to me. Others all look earlier, but I don't know enough to assign date. Do know cherry/amber/root beer Bakelite can fetch crazy prices. And I love the green necklace, although couldn't get away with wearing it. As I always say about 'bold' jewellery: If I wear that, I'll look like I'm wearing my mommy's jewellery.

5. Barn Owl

Thank you! That's disappointing about the first bangle; I can't tell the difference between lucite and bakelite and just try to buy anything without seams or that looks like it might be it.

Same sort of thing with me and hats. I like wearing different kinds of hats, but whenever I wear an ushanka or Greek fisherman hat, I feel like I'm playing dress up.

KSW, judy, PortableTreasures and 3 others like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Don't be overly disappointed yet. Just because the material reminds me very much of a faux tortoiseshell necklace I had when Lucite jewellery was all the rage doesn't mean I'm right. Hope others with more knowledge in the early plastics will weigh in. :)

KSW, judy, i need help and 1 other person like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that's a bit later on the first one - that faux amber was all the rage in the early 80s, I've loads of it bought at the time. The necklace with the metal caps is, I think, 1950s.

KSW, judy, i need help and 1 other person like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Together with the special corner in hell for people that chuck acid all over the front of otherwise lovely pieces of costume jewellery :mad:x14 as above.

judy and Barn Owl like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted