Featured Auction in sweden

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Jeff Drum, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the Swedes have such cool stuff........

Aquitaine likes this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Thanks, nothing I’ll be bidding on this time but maybe next one?

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Buy me a plane ticket and I'll go check it out for you all. Haven't been to Sweden in about ten years. I'm due for a visit. ;)

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Jeff Drum

I'd never been to Sweden before (though I have Swedish and Norwegian heritage - one of my grandparents from each), but my daughter was there for a month so I visited her for a week and we spent a few days traveling around to see the countries. I spent a couple days in Stockholm by myself before my flight back, and had time to see a couple museums and thought the ArmeMuseum (armory museum) would be interesting for a quick look. When I got there I noticed a sign (in Swedish) but seemed to be for an auction the day I was flying out, and one of the preview days was the day I made this post. So instead of just seeing the museum, I got to go to the Auction preview and handle the items they had! Felt like I was reaching into the cases at the museum.

I've never been into antique weapons, so don't really have experience with most of the stuff they were selling. Though I do have an old rapier that I purchased recently and which I think is authentic based on my general knowledge of antique metals and the rapiers I saw there. Other than studying those, it was interesting to see how heavy most of these items are. Beautiful craftmanship. Just as well I couldn't be there for the auction, since I had a single carry-on luggage and I don't think they would have been interested in me slipping any of the weapons into my carry-on bag. They had a ton of pistols, rifles, swords, sabres, armour, cannons, and other items (even a Medieval spoon with a $6000 estimate).

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like they had some REALLY NIFTY STUFF!!!!!! SO, @Jeff Drum, did you buy something???? Inquiring minds are curious:smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:.....AND Nosey!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

7. Jeff Drum

No, nothing at the auction, I was only there for the preview the day before (and flew out before the auction started the next day.) I didn't know anything about the auction, and only stumbled across it by mistake while going to the museum. I had to be really selective about what I bought during my visit because of lack of room in my one carry-on bag. It was a great chance to pick up and hold some of the weapons that would otherwise have been visible only behind glass. Biggest surprise: that 17th century breastplate armor is HEAVY!

Draft saved Draft deleted