Featured Auction lot two small bags, one beaded one cloth, what age are they?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Elen Beattie, Apr 6, 2023.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hello all! I won these two purses that were listed as "antique" (obviously this term is overused and often inaccurate!). I am hoping you can help me figure out if they are older or not. The slightly larger cloth shield shaped one is 9"H x 7"W. The pink inside lining does appear to be silk. The smaller glass beaded one is 5"H x 4.5"W. They are both in very good condition, like they've been well looked after. Any and all info welcome, thank you! :)
    Bagpic1.jpg bagpic4.jpg Bagpic2.jpg 337291383_2172395786298725_4400545421613634955_n.jpg

Figtree3, Lucille.b, elarnia and 4 others like this.
  2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

The first bag makes me think of a jewelry bag. My mother kept many pieces of her jewelry in various draw string bags. The white hoops I think are curtain rings. I just threw a bag of them out.

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The curtain rings, I hope. Not that curtain rings deserved to be tossed; they're hard to get and darned useful.

4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Both bags are beautiful.

I love those old plastic rings as well. They can be used for so many different things.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Both-VERY Nice!!! But I love the little beaded one better....:happy::happy: I honestly can't speak to their age....they don't look new, the beaded one LOOKS older, but maybe that's the color or just my preference!!

Elen Beattie likes this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I didn't throw All of them away! But I have hoarded in the past and I realize I have to start somewhere. I have drawers and shoeboxes full of useful things that i have not used in the 10 years since i retired.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have a stunning brushed brass chandelier....bought in 82.....put in my new home garage in 88....
    still sits there...

8. evelyb30

Might be a good time to dust it off and rewire it, since your street is still out of commission.

komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

to classy for my street ! ;)

10. evelyb30

Time to improve the neighborhood?

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Although the rings could be used as curtain rings for a doll's house, these are typical of this type of drawstring bag.
    It looks like the kind of purse my grandmother used as a young girl for dance lessons in the early 1910s, to keep a hanky in and maybe some change. She also had small celluloid fans specifically for dance lessons.
    Yours is a bit later, but the same principle, and probably a similar use.
    The bead purse is older.

12. Elen Beattie

Great, thanks for the info! It's nice to see that someone loved them enough to look after them so well :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. evelyb30

To me the curtain rings (Cafe curtains in the USA, at least in the old days) are begging to be used on potholders. We used to make our own, quilters often still do, and sewed the rings on so we could hang them next to the stove.

Figtree3 and Elen Beattie like this.
  14. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

I have seen the small rings used on bags, but the ones i have seen had the rings on the inside, so that gathering them with a string caused the top to form a flower shape.

15. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Both are darling!

Elen Beattie likes this.
  16. Northern Lights Lodge

You didn't say how large the first one is - but it looks small. It "could" have been a pocket to hold your small tatting ball and shuttle in. Ladies of that era (Turn of the Century) often took small portable projects with them like tatting when they went visiting to have tea in the parlor, make small talk and do a little needlework project. Truly both are sweet pieces!
    Leslie

17. Elen Beattie

Thanks Leslie! The first one is 7"W x 8.5"L, does that seem like the right size for such a use?

18. Northern Lights Lodge

Hmmm... that seems a little large... but certainly possible as that extra space would allow the finished tatting (yardage or doily to be tucked inside as well...). I will stick with my original suggestion as a tatting pocket... Leslie

19. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother crocheted around curtain rings and put them together to make things. I still have a bunch in her cookie tin sewing supplies

Draft saved Draft deleted