Featured Australian Aboriginal art vase - signature?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ownedbybear, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

So this is an oddity. The vase is actually glass with such a thick enamel that it looks pottery at first glance. The motifs are, I'm sure, Australian aboriginal - that's a 'roo.

Can anyone make sense of the signature please?

58A.jpg 58B.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

There is a Kotumah Island though this is probably a person's name I'd think.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive googled like crazy ( as Im sure you have ) and NOTHING ! Its not like theres a zillion aboriginal artists , so it shouldn't be that difficult ! I love it , and I will say I had not really looked into aboriginal artists before and was blown away at how much I love their work .

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

I've just found some artists called Rotumah, who are aboriginal, thanks to Google's auto suggest. So I think it's one of them, probably!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

What Johnny said. Beautiful piece.

6. Ownedbybear

I like it too - Aussie aboriginal art is very complex and symbolic, and often very well done.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted