Australian Made Dining Chairs - Sold by Anthony Hordern

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by RobSYD, Aug 12, 2020.

1. RobSYD

RobSYD New Member

Hi all,

I've bought a set of these dining chairs which have a fantastic shape (photos below). They're made in Australia and sold by Anthony Hordern, which was a large department store in Sydney from 1823-1973.

Although this was once the largest department store in the world, I can find very little information about what furniture they sold.

I would love to know more about them; age, designer, what wood etc, if anyone can help?

On a side note, I found this old catalogue which makes an interesting browse:

http://cavrep.com.au/F/furniture1911Horfurn.pdf

Many thanks,
    Rob

Any Jewelry and JBo like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Cool catalog. Looks like its from the 1890s.

Without a label it will be very difficult to name the maker of this chair. I'd say it's mahogany ca. 1940, designed in the Duncan Phyfe late 18th/early 19th century Neoclassical mode. These chairs would have been matched to a table and possibly a buffet or other dining room furniture in the mid 20th century, the so-called "golden age" of dining rooms.

If you've been following our furniture forum, you know that "brown is down," in other words, brown furniture is in a many years long-depression. Value for one chair would be minimal.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. RobSYD

RobSYD New Member

Thanks for that Daryl, I'll have a look at Duncan Phyfes work now.

I've got a set of 5 of these and it did come with a table. I'll add some pics of the table for interest shortly.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

look like gondola chairs which are a knock-off of French Empire Gondole chairs.

Draft saved Draft deleted