Austrian Bronze Dog Figurine?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Lew Fisher, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

Hi, Folks-
    Is this miniature dog figurine an Austrian bronze? It has a mark on the underside but we can't identify it. It's not marked with a country of origin. It measures about 2-3/8" by 3".
    We think the breed is a German mastiff (forerunner of Great Dane) but any help with that too would be appreciated. TIA DSCN4900.JPG DSCN4901.JPG DSCN4903.JPG DSCN4904.JPG DSCN4905.JPG

2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

I think German Mastiff is a strong possibility. I have a Great Dane and can certainly see his features there.

judy likes this.
  3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Lew Fisher, oh my goodness, great photos, especially the 4th photo from the top, so life-like and "doggie-behavior" like.

I know I'll be thought of as "crazy" (but hopefully only "dog crazy") when I tell you that when I saw the 4th photo my right hand came away from the keyboard and was headed toward the screen to scratch that dog's stomach. ;)

kyratango, SBSVC and anundverkaufen like this.
  4. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I think that's a Stefan Buchinger mark, the only one I know of being in an oval with a B at the end, I can't see it too well but it should be STB.
    Like this.
    .jpg

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Sorry . . . almost a double-posting. ;)

judy and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. Lew Fisher

Lew Fisher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words about the pictures...dumb good luck...the breed and, especially, the mark. Stefan Buchinger it is! You Antiques Board members rock!

anundverkaufen, AJefferson and judy like this.