Austrian China Set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dcfirebottle, Jan 30, 2018.

1. dcfirebottle

dcfirebottle Active Member

Salad bowls, I think. They have the beehive mark of Ackermann & Fritze. The signed artist is "Kaufmann". I looked online and found one example and a few from other artist's that worked for that company. The description always says "hand painted" plate or whatever by so & so artist... They don't look hand painted to me. They kind of feel like it but doubtful.
    Also, I don't think they were made to be used, (these don't have a scratch). I don't think they are sets either. Two sets of bowls match, and the two left , don't. I beginning to think these were available, back in the day, at your local ESSO station for a fill up.
    The other thing is, that not all have numbers on the back. The few that do, don't make sense. Two different plates have the same number on the back. Comments appreciated.

GOPR0423.JPG GOPR0424.JPG GOPR0425.JPG GOPR0426.JPG GOPR0429.JPG

judy likes this.
  2. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

These are sometimes called allegorical plates. Most date to the early 1900's. They were produced by several companies and you can find them with a variety of marks. They are transfer decorated with hand painted highlights. These were produced for decorating purposes since the decoration will not hold up to much use. Most folks hung and continue to hang these plates on their walls.

Kaufman was the artist that produced the paintings upon which the decorations are based. They were considered classical and romantic. The smaller numbers may be the decorators' identification numbers or they could have been a notification to the decorator of which decal to use.

If you do a search of "porcelain allegorical plates" you will see a number of examples. They probably won't be identical to yours but some will be pretty close. Yours look to be in pretty good condition. If keeping them please store them carefully with some type of barrier between the plates. I use coffee filters, paper plates, or in a pinch paper towels.
    Don

dcfirebottle, judy, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They get called "cabinet plates" too - meant to sit in a cabinet and look pretty.

dcfirebottle, judy and Sandra like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted