Featured Austrian Enameled silver set maker help please

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by johnett, May 4, 2015.

1. johnett

johnett Active Member

This is part of an huge estate I am doing and this set is kicking my butt. I do know it is Austrian I do know it is from 1922-1925 it is silver 935. I only brought home 2 pieces to look them up but it comes with shoe horn tray here and mirror brush comb powder jar shoe brush perfume bottles. What I dont know is the mark between the 935 and the upside down bird on the end ( the bird is what dates it andwhere it was made) I tried to get a good picture but if need be I can have hubby drag out the macro lens and his camera 20150504_153147-1.jpg 20150504_153202.jpg 20150504_152954.jpg

komokwa, cxgirl and mymysharona43 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like the right shape to be the maker's mark from what I saw on the Forums at 925-1000. I went through a very long thread devoted to Austro-Hungarian trade on which many vintage ads, marks tables and maker information were posted, but didn't find an OM maker. If it's something else, you might want to go over there to look.

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. johnett

johnett Active Member

I thought it was a OM maker also and I didnt see anything either. Maybe someone will chime in

4. johnett

johnett Active Member

wonder if it is upside down like the bird?

5. johnett

johnett Active Member

I am going to look on the other pieces today to see if it is a clear stamp on one of them thanks Bakersgma

6. johnett

johnett Active Member

I have not found it yet but I think I figured it out was looking at it wrong The first letter is a D second has to be M what do you think?

7. johnett

johnett Active Member

Vanity Set-1 copy.jpg I finally got it all cleaned up to list thought you might like to see the whole set

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Very nice.......very !!!

johnett likes this.
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If it's any comfort, I don't think the maker would make a cent's worth of difference one way or the other. You have enough detail to describe and illustrate the objects, the bottom estimate should be the silver scrap value.

johnett likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

The enamel is sweet......make the estimate higher !!!!

johnett likes this.
  11. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Try adding the term guilloche enamel dresser set +(silver,sterling) to your search and you will see more items similar to your very nice set.

johnett, gregsglass and afantiques like this.
  12. johnett

johnett Active Member

It is a beautiful set just wish it was mine lol

13. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

JMHO. the most righthand one looks like a Swiss grouse (should stand on its tip). would make sense because Austria was not known for high quality guilloche.

14. johnett

johnett Active Member

fidbald that is a hoopie bird upside down with a 1 on the left of the hoopie bird (for 935 silver) a W on the right of the hoopie bird (stating it is from Vienna)

15. fidbald

fidbald Well-Known Member

sorry then. never heard that the Austrians had the machinery (same as for certain details in watchmaking) to make good guilloche stuff.

johnett likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted