Auto Pen Signatures...How can you tell?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by janettekay, Sep 27, 2014.

1. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Cleaning out family stuff..found envelopes with cards (acknowledgments of correspondence from my grandmother) from Eisenhower and Nixon..they seem to be generic response cards ...used a loop..sigs seem too neat...should I just toss them..but how to tell if auto pen before I do..(ps..there is one letter personally signed by Sherman Adams..assistant to Eisenhower..which I also assume is totally of no value:rolleyes:)

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I once considered this same question and found a couple of useful articles on an autograph site but I cant remember where, sorry.
    The total regularity seemed to be the main clue, and the line endings which would simply stop, not tail off.

Pat P and User 67 like this.
  3. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

Handwritten signatures ALWAYS have ..thick and thin, darker and lighter lines. The pressure from a mechanical pen is consistent.

Pat P likes this.
  4. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Pat P and afantiques like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It all depends on how much was written. My George Washington letter is worth 500 and my LBJ letter is worth 3000.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone..but I think it is all going in the Goodwill box..

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Janette,
    I would offer them for starting 9.99 and free shipping I am sure you will catch somebody. I sold three Reagan Christmas cards for 65 bucks.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted