Featured Awl Help Please

Discussion in 'Tools' started by cxgirl, Jul 2, 2019.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I have a bunch of what I think are awls, different sizes and shapes, I'm not sure if the long thin ones are awls. Some have initials on the end - would they be the initial of the owner? the piece of material/leather thing was in the box, does it belong with the awls? It is open at the top and bottom. there are a couple of photos with quarters to give an idea of size
    any information appreciated
    thanks for looking:)
    DSCF4752.jpg DSCF4761.jpg DSCF4755.jpg DSCF4756.jpg DSCF4762.jpg DSCF4763.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Most look like metal engraving tools.The one with the "silver" locking collar should have a name stamped on it.

3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I'm wondering if the leather bit isn't some homemade version of something like a sailmaker's palm.

Some kinds of tool for protecting the palm, pushing, gripping the awls.

Just a WAG.
    8996cf0abbfaec738ff578bda735de58.jpg

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

kyratango, judy, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks for all the replies folks:)
    thank-you Holly, I would never have come up with engraving tools. No name on the wood pieces, but several blades have names on them, most are Vautier, then E.C. Mullier, J.F. Hewes and Stehman, Jenks & Stehman.
    A finger guard makes sense:)
    DSCF4767.jpg DSCF4771.jpg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-7-2_23-33-1.jpeg

upload_2019-7-2_23-40-2.jpeg

The tools are similar to what I've seen used by Haida Jewelers & Argillite carvers....
    You may have a Native market for them...........

judy, Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks komokwa:) that is a thought, I've been trying to decide if I should sell local or put them on ebay

judy, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

thats so cool, i want one, looks very steampunk, ever needed to put a cigarette out with your own hand, i can :)

cxgirl, Jivvy and judy like this.
  10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

As someone who has trouble turning on a radio (remember them?) my connection wih any kind of tool is practically nil. However, there is something about seeing pictures of a group of wooden tools, with their warm and polished handles, that speaks to me.

A number of years ago, I was in London visiting Covent Garden for antiques day. One of the stalls I passed was run by a very old gentleman who gave me such a sweet smile -- and I stopped to chat for a moment. He sold antique tools, and was kind enough to explain what some of them were, and how they were used. He was very knowledgeable, and handled every piece with expertise. I was impressed, and told him that I had really enjoyed having him tell me all about hammers and awls and planes.

He thanked me, and as I turned to leave, he put his gnarled old hand across a row of his stock, and said, with such reverence, "These are the tools that built London."

I've never forgotten him.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. shoemaker stitching awls. possibly some knives. letters could be for different shoelaces.

12. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

the last bunch of gravers tools i had,was from an estate sale of a gentleman who worked at the danbury mint,,,easy sell$$$

Jivvy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted