Featured Baccarat Object Dating and Purpose

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Oct 13, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Because the red label didn't seem quite right - the "Baccarat" is not centered - I looked this piece up quickly before purchase. I found a slightly similar piece had a 50/70's date on it, so I thought perhaps it might be interesting. I'm not quite clear what the purpose of this fan-shaped crystal object is, though, since it is only 6 inches high, 7 inches at it's widest part and the opening a mere 1.5 inches. Perhaps, someone here can enlighten me. The engraving of vines and leaves is only on one side.

The bottom has two etched labels - Baccarat in script on one side and a round label with what appears to be a wine bottle and two glasses and Baccarat France on the other. It has a lovely, silky surface. Does anyone know what this is and perhaps, when it was created?

IMG_7035.jpg IMG_7037.jpg IMG_7051.jpg IMG_7049.jpg IMG_7047.jpg IMG_7050 (1).jpg IMG_7039.JPG IMG_7040.JPG IMG_7043.JPG IMG_7045.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. KikoBlueEyes

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  4. i need help

5. KikoBlueEyes

judy likes this.
  6. i need help

I’m sure they are mostly guessing. Wait for some more boardies, they will know.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  7. i need help

8. KikoBlueEyes

I've had a lot of fun looking at what you found already! I read so far that the circle logo is not used on "modern' pieces.

9. i need help

I’m sure we will both get educated, when others weigh in.
    You can see a Sold one on the Realreal.

judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. KikoBlueEyes

judy likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

Wow - $175. I paid $71. You make me feel great.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  12. i need help

I’m not sure if that gave the size, did you see it?

judy, Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. i need help

14. KikoBlueEyes

Yes. It was the same size. I saw the different sizes in the original search you did. Some small at 4 inches and some bigger at 9.75.

15. KikoBlueEyes

16. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow it's really beautiful! I've never heard of the realreal before, thanks!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

Me either. That INH takes us to some interesting places.

antidiem likes this.
  18. KikoBlueEyes

This link goes to a larger version that is dated 1910. It includes the reverse Baccarat signature as one of the indicators of this age. I'll post the text for those who don't click links.
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/57533843_baccarat-rendezvous-pattern

"This is a large French Baccarat clear crystal fan vase. The date is circa 1910. The vase is signed twice on the bottom. The vase is 8.25 tall, 9.75 wide, 2.25 deep. The front of the vase is etched with a vine design (possibly called French Thistle). The back is not etched. The shape is a fan with a rectangle base. There are two marks for Baccarat on the bottom. One is the etched word "Baccarat" that is etched so that when you look down through the glass from above, you can see the word spelled clearly, but looking at it from below, it is like looking at the reverse image in the mirror. This mark dates the vase to around 1910. The second mark is an acid stamped circle with the word Baccarat at the top and the word France at the bottom, and containing the outlines of three items – a wine decanter bottle is in the middle, a wine glass is on the left and a tumbler is on the right. This mark was first used in 1860, however the other mark will date the glass to 1910."

It sold for $15, but has a chip

19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Ah, the death of any glass! :inpain::hungover:

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

You got that right. The close up of the chip fried this piece in the market

Draft saved Draft deleted