Backwards Kutani?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by robdb80, Jan 24, 2022.

1. robdb80

robdb80 Member

So, I have a small Japanese cup with a mark on the bottom. My research has lead me to believe it's Kutani but the mark is backwards. Where a standard mark is 九谷, this one is laid out like 谷九. I don't have the piece on me, as I'm at work currently, but I'd be happy to provide a picture once I return home. Is this a possibility? Has it been seen like this before?

I do actually have a photo on my phone, which I'll upload, it's just not a straight on photo of the mark. Again, I'll get a better photo once I return home.

Attached Files:

Ce BCA and judy like this.
  2. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It is possibly from 1960, but would help to see the entire vase.

It is a seal script in the Kaku (square) version and style of "Kutani".

Similar to this mark

k (2).jpg

It is almost certainly like this mark

download - 2022-01-24T125933.535.png

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Japanese can be read left to right as well as right to left, so there isn't a problem with the characters not being in the most common form - but it looks like you just had it upside down in the pic anyway? Agree with what has already been posted, probably 1960's or 70's in period.

judy likes this.
  4. robdb80

robdb80 Member

Sorry, I did flip the image because I hadn't realized the characters were upside down. As promised, here's a better photo. 20220124_145403.jpg 20220112_160931.jpg

judy and Francisco G Kempton like this.
  5. Francisco G Kempton

Lol You were right, they are indeed back to front in comparison. As they are rubber stamped is it possible it was reverse stamped, stamped onto one metal plate and then stamped onto the porcelain. Not sure why or how this might happen. If you were to stamp onto a smooth rubber and then stamp that rubber onto the porcelain then this would be the back to front result.

judy likes this.
  6. robdb80

robdb80 Member

This thing is small too, maybe a tea cup? 3.5 inches tall and 2 and 3/4 inches in diameter.

judy likes this.
  7. Francisco G Kempton

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted