Featured Bad from good soapstone carving part 2

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Jeff Drum, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Here's another grouping of soapstone carvings that I think are Inuit. I numbered them this time to try to make it easier to keep them straight. Thanks in advance for any input.
    P9011516.JPG P9011517.JPG P9011519.JPG P9011522.JPG P9011525.JPG P9011523.JPG P9011526.JPG P9011527.JPG P9011528.JPG

Christmasjoy, judy, Rayo56 and 4 others like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

P9011529.JPG P9011531.JPG P9011530.JPG P9011533.JPG P9011534.JPG P9011536.JPG P9011540.JPG The last two.. I think these are my favorites. I love the expression on the seal(?), and the bear actually balances on one foot (which unfortunately doesn't leave much space for the signature)...

kyratango, judy, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

This is why I love this site! Now I have/had NO interest in such things, zip. However, aren't these adorable??!! The seals are charming, and the polar bear appropriately menacing. Thank you!

kyratango, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Oh, Lord! I just figured out -- this is why I am at the computer more than I should be!

judy, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 4 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. komokwa

the way the face looks in the pic....ummm...maybe.....but it's a Dancing bear.....when standing...so hard to be menacing, while dancing ! :D

kyratango, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. komokwa

yes all inuit...but the one signed Albert.....is questionable...

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I like the seal the best too. No idea which one is worth money, if any, but the carving on the seal makes him look happy.

kyratango, judy, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  9. komokwa

E5-1249...... simeone akkitiq Hall Beach born1952

10. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Dancing bear is by Isaaci Petaulassie from Cape Dorset. The others are nice but rather generic.

Christmasjoy, judy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  11. Jeff Drum

Great info! Here are some follow up pics taken of the last two. Showing the bear doing his hand stand (with the help of a cricket who just decided to drop by) or on his belly, and hopefully better pics of the seal's markings - partially obscured by the sticker. I assume the sticker is older (since it is for "Eskimo art") but that's a guess? Writing looks to me like "T39" or "T32", sticker-KDCP or sticker-KDOP, "601" or "69". I assume I shouldn't lift off the sticker to see the full name but is that right? Can anyone hazard a guess when these (and the others) were made?

P9051565.JPG P9051564.JPG P9051568.JPG P9051570.JPG P9051566.JPG P9051567.JPG

12. Mark London

Signature reads Pauloosie Kavik

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  13. Jeff Drum

Wow, thank you! Now tell the truth - are you psychic or xray vision?

14. Mark London

Not to toot my own horn but I do this full time and have done so for about 40 years. I appraise Inuit art for most major Canadian museums (and several in the USA). It helps that I am able to read syllabics (at least when they are clearly signed).

15. komokwa

Yes Jeff, there are indeed some experts among us.....:happy::happy::happy:

kyratango, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  16. Jeff Drum

Wow, had to look up syllabics - literally a whole other language. Like looking at japanese or chinese for me (which I'm afraid I am also clueless about though I have a collection of both). I'm afraid it is too late for me to learn any of these (though I did finally figure out japanese numbers well enough to know how much my lunch was going to cost when I was there for work).

Is the whale (number 2) decipherable or do I need a better pic?

17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I adore your agile bear with his almost human face.

Christmasjoy, judy and Jeff Drum like this.
  18. Bronwen

@Mark London Hope Jeff will forgive my 'borrowing' his thread.

I have a bobcat carved in walrus tusk, very yellowed, so maybe 'fossil' tusk. It is not signed or marked in any way. Seller, who if I recall correctly was in Washington State, had bought out contents of a defunct store, which included a box of carvings about which he knew nothing. Are bobcats a subject seen in Inuit art? Or would it likely be the work of a non-Inuit native people? I have mainly Zuni pieces, but really loved this guy, wonderfully smooth & heavy in the hand.

Walrus_bobcat_C.jpg Walrus_bobcat_F.jpg Walrus_bobcat_A.jpg

19. Mark London

Could be Alaskan but that is very much out of my wheelhouse.

Christmasjoy, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

Thank you for taking a look. :)

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted